Icynene for renovation

thaldine

I'm looking at having Icynene installed under a suspended timber ground floor and underside of currently cold roof in modest sized 1950s bungalow. Motivation is to bolster insulation and also air tightness.

Should I be concerned about how valid the breathability claims are in practice in terms of potentially causing timbers to be exposed to moisture that doesn't dry out ? Same for Icynene's lack of hygroscopic properties ? Also can anybody who's experienced it post-install confirm the odour does pass ?

Thanks

Thanks @ProDave and @PeterStarck.

Regarding the mortgage point , it seems to be less on the lenders/surveyors radar for floors than roofs/lofts. According to the posts they don't seem to differentiate between open and closed cell.

Still not found an idiots guide on how to insulate and make loft/roof more airtight using traditional non-spray methods.

Post some pictures of the roof and what you are trying to do.

I think spray foam properly applied in a new build is okay.  The issue with mortgages is an old roof, with no under felt, and spray foam applied from the inside as a "fix" makes the roof completely un repairable as the tiles are stuck by the foam,. so in the event of any repairs then being needed it is a new roof required.

Right, I had assumed their problem was because they had a moisture concern regarding the roof timbers but you seem to be suggesting it might be the fixity to the roof covering itself that is their problem.

I am trying to add a decent amount of insulation that is protected from wind wash and at the same time improve the airtightness.

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Edited by thaldine