Piles- Foundation

KimB

We are 18 months in and finally about to submit our planning application for a four bedroom house in Chertsey, we have battled through with the EA and English Heritage. Finally data produced from EA  has taken us out the flooding zone, however we still need to have the house slightly raised, we are using plies for the foundation. We have literally run out of money to have to complete any more reports as its taken us almost £12,000 and we have another £3,000 to find to complete borehole survey to apease the English Heritage to get us through the final stage for them. 

We are worried that our planning permission will be rejected by Runnymede council because we haven't had a tree survey completed, even though there are no trees on our site, and no protected tress within a 10 mile radius. However our understanding is that using piles we will not disturb any tree roots etc, I would like to present some evidence to the council with our planning pack on this and wondered if anyone had advice on using piles or could point me in the right direction on gathering some evidence on this? 

I would be very grateful for any advice.

I can't answer specifically, but I've just had piles done for an extension and they were close to a row of hedge/trees in the conservation area and the question you have raised hasn't come up. If there are no trees on the site, I don't see how it can be an issue. During the planning process the council will ask the various interested bodies for their comments and they can delay if they want more information. Have you been for a pre-application meeting, as that should give you a good idea of the concerns the council will raise? It's usually about £500 but well worth it. Piles are usually a Building Control issue rather than planning. Planning usually only care about the external appearance. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Thanks 1

Why would a tree survey cost £1000 if you have no trees present. 

It should be around £300

you do the leg work first, so supply a site map so the arborists does not need to download one. 

Their report will be about a paragraph long, stating no trees on this site that have any significant amenity value and none that will be in the way of the future development. 

Job done. 

Or produce your  own maps and photographs showing no trees and write in your submission beside tree report, no report obtained due to the site not having any trees. 

I did did a lot of legwork for my submission saving the planning consultant a lot of time. 

Regarding the piling, why would you offer a solution to a problem that doesn’t yet exist, wait for a soil survey before you think about piling. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, KimB said:

Thank you for your comments. We have done pre planning and they did request a tree survey to be completed. I think I know the answer but trying to find another £1000 for a tree survey hurts!!!! eekkkkkk

That is actually bonkers! Can you get a local tree surgeon to write a letter verifying that there are no actual trees on your site?! Include photos? 

...If it's any consolation, my site has swallowed >£20K in fees for a tiny 2 bed house...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why would a tree survey cost £1000 if you have no trees present. 

It should be around £300

you do the leg work first, so supply a site map so the arborists does not need to download one. 

Their report will be about a paragraph long, stating no trees on this site that have any significant amenity value and none that will be in the way of the future development. 

Job done. 

Or produce your  own maps and photographs showing no trees and write in your submission beside tree report, no report obtained due to the site not having any trees. 

I did did a lot of legwork for my submission saving the planning consultant a lot of time. 

Regarding the piling, why would you offer a solution to a problem that doesn’t yet exist, wait for a soil survey before you think about piling. 

Because that is the cost we had quoted £1000 for the tree survey, we have just completed an Ecology survey that came in at £1700, and so far £3000 with the English Heritage and another £3500 to go with them!!!! The piles are a must so we are told as on heritage land and was flood zone!! We couldn't have picked a more expensive piece of land!

7 hours ago, Russell griffiths said: