My New Shed?

Onoff

So, so sad ?

There's what was really nicely built cabins, roofs knackered, garages with electrically operated doors (not roller shutters), again roofs knackered.

The acreage is on terraces going up a hillside. Every terrace a bfo "shed", different from the last. 

Then there's all the cars...

At the end of the day for what? All done in good faith, the upkeep I guess became too much and it fell into disrepair. Pride, (senility?), I guess stopped them from "getting a man in" to fix it all. Left to some poor sod to sort when they're gone. Took No.2 daughter with us and made the joke she'd be doing similar one day! ?

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So, so sad ?

There's what was really nicely built cabins, roofs knackered, garages with electrically operated doors (not roller shutters), again roofs knackered.

The acreage is on terraces going up a hillside. Every terrace a bfo "shed", different from the last. 

Then there's all the cars...

At the end of the day for what? All done in good faith, the upkeep I guess became too much and it fell into disrepair. Pride, (senility?), I guess stopped them from "getting a man in" to fix it all. Left to some poor sod to sort when they're gone. Took No.2 daughter with us and made the joke she'd be doing similar one day! ?

What’s actually happening with that stuff? Those cars would be worth a few Bob in the right circles. 

what are they? Is the first one a sunbeam alpine? 

Edited by Gav_P

8 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

What’s actually happening with that stuff? Those cars would be worth a few Bob in the right circles. 

what are they? 

Old and rusty! I was going to look closer but everywhere reeked of damp etc. The relative is taking the cars before the place gets sold. I'll try and find out. I quite fancy that one in the video.

Wild guess Talbot Roche or maybe RR?

Edited by Onoff

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Old and rusty! I was going to look closer but everywhere reeked of damp etc. The relative is taking the cars before the place gets sold. I'll try and find out. I quite fancy that one in the video.

The first on is almost definitely a 1970s sunbeam alpine fastback.. probably only £5k in ok nick. God knows what the “wacky races” car is though.

Quite exciting discovering things like this.... can’t believe it’s been next door to you the whole time. 

7 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

.... can’t believe it’s been next door to you the whole time. 

People here tend to keep themselves to themselves. I know my immediate neighbours but barely know next door but one either side. Beyond that not a clue. Mind I've only had the house 20 years. This old place the pics are from I'd say hello to the old couple when I was walking the kids in their prams and used to give him a few bottles of NZ beer a couple of times but never went in the house. 

Across the road 3 new sets of "incomers". 

download.jpeg.cb2a58d762e1b30ded1bbf78b36a0434.jpeg

• Haha 1

Never a truer word said in jest!

Ended up helping out at the neighbour's.

Imagine a time capsule of a couple of people in their late 90s. Opening WW2 trunks that came back from India and being told "Watch out for guns!" (Didn't find any ?).

I came back  with this cute little battery lantern to restore. No glass but I'll figure something out!

IMG_20210220_172254273.thumb.jpg.f508c0cae6422687f7590a09d07804d9.jpg

IMG_20210220_172310446.thumb.jpg.f4340f70fcebdf2f85685c3bc9665d3c.jpg

...& a shed! Seriously, there's a couple of brand new, unassembled timber sheds sitting in, well bigger sheds!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Noted some half finished wiring today in one of the sheds. Twin & earth all red and black. 3 core and earth, red white & blue, stranded cores.

I designed it and started to the 14th edition, I will complete to that standard.........

EDIT: an exageration. 15th was the standard in force when I was a boy and 16th came in part way through my aprenticeship, and I doubt you are older than me.  But i still don't recall red / white / blue being current.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I designed it and started to the 14th edition, I will complete to that standard.........

EDIT: an exageration. 15th was the standard in force when I was a boy and 16th came in part way through my aprenticeship, and I doubt you are older than me.  But i still don't recall red / white / blue being current.

Maybe it’s french? 

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

It's a Rapier...

I had to sit in the back of one of those, Basildon to Bushey, then Bushey to Canterbury and then back to Basildon.

One of the few cars I felt travel sickness in.

Not been in one since 1973, and to be honest, quite happy never to go in one again.

Well...

I've come back with two sheds...I think. One is called a "Windsor". Never assembled even. 

IMG_20210221_175144525.thumb.jpg.fa674e94e9f4d0f5ee25a1be9db6288f.jpg

Plus...an old tin bath, various gothic esque pots, benches etc.

Sadly I had to leave this:

IMG_20210221_134657878.thumb.jpg.59ea82ad6bc9efd37330b55a3b25261b.jpg

IMG_20210221_134703692.thumb.jpg.e9d6f6afb9bf6d5ba0859337b734fb4a.jpg

Seriously how 'effin cool is that? Wonder what voltage it put out? Looks like you could put a belt on the PTO maybe?

Edited by Onoff

Seemingly the stuff above is polythene inslated cable with a pvc sheath to BS1557. So 3-cores, red, white & blue, no earth, Imperial 3/0.29 I think, 3 tinned strands per core equates to about 2.98mm2. It's like new.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Seemingly the stuff above is polythene inslated cable with a pvc sheath to BS1557. So 3-cores, red, white & blue, no earth, Imperial 3/0.29 I think, 3 tinned strands per core equates to about 2.98mm2. It's like new.

Even I am not old enough to have ever installed any of that, and only seen it on an install once, and I had to rub my eyes, at first I thought the yellow had faded.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Even I am not old enough to have ever installed any of that, and only seen it on an install once, and I had to rub my eyes, at first I thought the yellow had faded.

BS1557 was withdrawn in 1954! ?