membrane

nod

With the help of a couple of friends

I managed to get all the main house roof trusses in place and braced Yesterday

I still have to make  the valleys up and fit the facials and soffits  But my thoughts have now  turned to which membrane to use under the 5000 slate I have to fit

So many on the market

From 25 to a 150 per roll

I wondered what you guys have used

are you boarding the roof or just putting it straight on the rafters?

if you are boarding first you will need a different  (the expensive ones) type of membrane

if not i thinks its pretty much an open market, 

I went for WEB UV for my walls and Tyvec for the (boarded) roof, I can find out specific names tomorrow if it helps but if you're not boarding i don't think you need to worry too much

Yes it's a bit bewildering!

As Ed says, are you putting sarking on? And are you doing full fill insulation and therefore need a breather membrane?

I did more research on this than was healthy, making a big list of the different types and noting down the vital specs off their BBA certificates (nail tear strength etc). I knew mine was going to be exposed for a lot longer than normal so I didn't want to skimp. Ended up using Cromar Pro Vent 3, for what it's worth.

9 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

are you boarding the roof or just putting it straight on the rafters?

if you are boarding first you will need a different  (the expensive ones) type of membrane

if not i thinks its pretty much an open market, 

I went for WEB UV for my walls and Tyvec for the (boarded) roof, I can find out specific names tomorrow if it helps but if you're not boarding i don't think you need to worry too much

Thanks for the quick reply

I'm going straight onto the rafters Ive felted the two garages in using easy trim membrane 30 a roll

But would prefer something a little more substantial for the house

10 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Yes it's a bit bewildering!

As Ed says, are you putting sarking on? And are you doing full fill insulation and therefore need a breather membrane?

I did more research on this than was healthy, making a big list of the different types and noting down the vital specs off their BBA certificates (nail tear strength etc). I knew mine was going to be exposed for a lot longer than normal so I didn't want to skimp. Ended up using Cromar Pro Vent 3, for what it's worth.

You've hit the nail on the head No pun intended The stuff I used on the garages would be prone to nail tear like dave mine may well be left exposed for a while

On 08/02/2017 at 21:18, ProDave said:

We used Protect VP400 on the advice of the builder. That's on top of my wood fibre sarking so needed to be non tenting, and they chose a good one as they knew it might be a while before the tiles went on.

Did you use the standard VP400 or the VP400 Plus LR?