Cold areas in floor

gc100

So my house flooded recently and the carpets have been up the last couple of weeks. I've had the heating on 24/7 drying the floor out and the carpets are going back down today.

However I've whilst cleaning the floor last night, that in some rooms there are cold areas of the floor between 2-3m2 and 1m2 which are cold to touch, whereas elsewhere in the room the floor is nice and warm. I know the UFH pipes run under this area.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Have you anyone you know who has a thermal imaging camera? Anything like a FLiR One which attaches to a mobile phone you could borrow? That would show the underfoor loops at least very clearly but sorry, don't know unless there is a specific loop that isn't working - check the manifold to see if all zones are open and working? Has the heating in those rooms/areas been working previously? Sorry to hear about the flood damage.

Just now, mike2016 said:

Have you anyone you know who has a thermal imaging camera? Anything like a FLiR One which attaches to a mobile phone you could borrow? That would show the underfoor loops at least very clearly but sorry, don't know unless there is a specific loop that isn't working - check the manifold to see if all zones are open and working? Has the heating in those rooms/areas been working previously? Sorry to hear about the flood damage.

I could buy one I suppose. Would it work through carpet? The loop is working as most of the room is working, just certain areas within the room. Could it be trapped air?

I cannot say if they have been heating evenly across the floor before as I'm not crawled about on my hands and knees previously.

You'd see more detail without carpet but it would be unusual for a single loop to heat / not heat some areas, the same fluid runs through it, I could only imagine that happening if a specific zone wasn't working. Have you the contact of who installed the system, maybe give them a call and see what they suggest checking? FLIR aren't cheap but you could also use a cheap point and press temperature gauge to get some spot values without breaking the bank. My library loan them out with an energy awareness kit for free......

Two possibilities, this is only happening since the flood, or it's only been noticed since the flood. Do you know the makeup of the foundation - is it screed/concrete other? Is the underfloor heating a retrofit on top of an existing floor etc? 

Edited by mike2016
typo

On 11/02/2021 at 09:08, mike2016 said:

You'd see more detail without carpet but it would be unusual for a single loop to heat / not heat some areas, the same fluid runs through it, I could only imagine that happening if a specific zone wasn't working. Have you the contact of who installed the system, maybe give them a call and see what they suggest checking? FLIR aren't cheap but you could also use a cheap point and press temperature gauge to get some spot values without breaking the bank. My library loan them out with an energy awareness kit for free......

Two possibilities, this is only happening since the flood, or it's only been noticed since the flood. Do you know the makeup of the foundation - is it screed/concrete other? Is the underfloor heating a retrofit on top of an existing floor etc? 

I only noticed it after flood (as I was checking how dry the floor felt). I can;t say if it was like it before. Its new gypsum type flow screed with new pipes. The run is working as the rest of the room is ok , just certain areas.

On 11/02/2021 at 09:21, ProDave said:

Is an area of the under floor still saturated and that is just conducting the heat away to the sub floor?

On the surface it looks/ed dry. It is possible that its still wet deeper and pulling the heat away, though I thought I'd feel some form of warm. I have ask the installers to come out as we keep loosing pressure in the buffer tank.