Under stairs cupboard door make up?

Weebles

We always thought we’d make our under stairs area look neater by putting a cupboard door in.   Now we have a window of opportunity with most other indoor jobs done so here we go. Thought we’d make our own to get the size right to fit the space and have a very large door to fit a human in easily. It’s about 700mm wide. I bought some 6mm oak boards. Thought we’d stick them to some mdf to make a door and build a frame. Is this a ridiculous idea? Will this door make up work? If so, would 20mm mdf work or thinner? And should we face the door on both sides for balance? Any joiners willing to offer advice please? And please feel free to shoot the idea down if it’s rubbish!  Thanks 

image.jpg

Have you consider likes of www.jail.co.uk

who do made to measure cupboard doors in mdf, and oak veneer, the latter which could match in to your oak stairs.

I once priced up making my own under stair door MDT door and found by time I did so it wasn’t much more just to buy a proper one from them, and certainly a lot less work.

• Thanks 1

Sorry it's a poor photo, I must take a picture specifically of the under stair cupboard door. You can just see a glimpse of it through the banister rails.

Almost identical to your cupboard, a door frame made of left over newel post parts to match the stairs.

The door was made with left over engineered Oak floor boards, think "cottage door" with the good face of the boards showing on the outside, and on the inside the normal "Z" framework to hold it all together.  It is not so pretty from the inside as that is the softwood underside of the engineered boards showing.

fusion_4.thumb.jpg.db89a051e18c726b1212f2427d6e8b54.jpg

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Have you consider likes of www.jail.co.uk

That was a weird website ? but jali.co.uk was better!! Looks like a door isn’t too bad price wise, but doesn’t satisfy my need to use up all the timber I have left over.

36 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Sorry it's a poor photo, I must take a picture specifically of the under stair cupboard door. You can just see a glimpse of it through the banister rails.

Almost identical to your cupboard, a door frame made of left over newel post parts to match the stairs.

Looks like we might be able to do something similar to use up bits of left over oak. For the frame we have enough. No floor boards for the door though. Hence the 6mm oak board stuck to mdf idea.  Might just give it a go.....

22 hours ago, Russdl said:

Sounds like great idea, 20mm MDF may be a bit over the top though, I would have thought 12mm MDF plus your 6mm oak would be more than adequate.

Thanks. That’s what we are going to try. Will post the result.....?

22 hours ago, Russdl said:

Love the wallpaper.

Thank you. Just for you, here’s the full wall.......we like planning our runs and cycles from the wall now......

54B49907-99D2-4753-A735-4255FFD69794.jpeg

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 19:13, Weebles said:

Thought we’d stick them to some mdf to make a door and build a frame. Is this a ridiculous idea? Will this door make up work? If so, would 20mm mdf work or thinner? And should we face the door on both sides for balance?

I’ve made doors for an under stairs cupboard and they have got two 6mm ply skins over an 18mm chipboard core. It’s much more stable than MDF and nicer to work with. 

If the 6mm oak is oak though and not laminate then you could do both sides and edge the doors with some strips and trim with a router. Decent glue such as Titebond will stop it all moving if it’s all clamped down or held flat with some blocks. 

• Thanks 1