Repointing or Time to Worry?

Mags

Hi my house is an end terrace which is 90 years old. Built on blue clay. I have been here two years. We are thinking of maybe moving so I was having a good look over the house. 

Something troubles me with a wall at the back of the house. No sure if it is a repointing job or me over thinking things. I have shown a picture of the brickwork from the side of bedroom window down to roof flashing on the extension. No damage to brick work it just looks like mortar falling out.

Any constructive experts or builders that can offer me a second opinion on that please? IMG_20210202_105415214.thumb.jpg.47ece9266ce1311189c4d5c26cbb81d1.jpg

IMG_20210202_105407950.jpg

Was the extension added on or incorporated into the house by removing the wall? if the wall was removed then i would say this is the support lintel/Beam either settling due to poor installation or deflecting allowing the wall above to settle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markc said:

Was the extension added on or incorporated into the house by removing the wall? if the wall was removed then i would say this is the support lintel/Beam either settling due to poor installation or deflecting allowing the wall above to settle.

No wall removed mate. The extension was added on. The grey mastic seal was from an earlier roof I believe. The flat roof on the extension is fairly new if that helps? 

32 minutes ago, Mags said:

No wall removed mate. The extension was added on. The grey mastic seal was from an earlier roof I believe. The flat roof on the extension is fairly new if that helps? 

deleted as @Timedout said it better

Edited by markc

I would not panic. Rake out an point up a large area in a consistent mortar and finish and it will pass without comment. Do do just the crack, it will attract the wrong kind of attention. It looks as if it has been superficially pointed over before. Rake back 25mm min. Don’t use an angle grinder, you’ll chip the bricks. The bricks look hard, like northern town or colliery village terraces. Hard bricks shed water and concentrate it on the mortar so fill well, no recess and tool finish, not brushed. There’ll be a brickie along soon to disagree with me, I’m just a techie and usually give way to a skilled man.
That terrace will have no movement joints anywhere and long term shunt through thermal and moisture induced expansion would exhibit at stress pints where the cross section is small such as window and door openings. Get someone to look at the existing mortar to see if it is lime or cement based. Use the same when you repoint. 90 years ago is about 1920 and even that late it could be lime. 

• Like 1

Just looks like a settlement crack at first glance. 
1920’s is probably lime mortar construction with sand & cement pointing to roughly 1” depth. 
Getting someone in to repoint the whole back wouldn’t break the bank-probably around £60-70/m2 inc materials. 
Or you could just do the zone directly under the window. 
Sand & cement is widely used but probably shouldn’t be-there’s a lot of evidence to show that a lime mortar is more beneficial to the property overall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Some little drill holes.  I can't think what else they could be for?  House looks fine though.

I wondered what they were too.

It has had some additional damp proofing above the original DPC. Had walls checked and no damp detected. 

10 hours ago, Mags said:

16 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Looks like they have some injected damp proof stuff into the bricks as well.

I think it’s a solid wall. 
Above the roof,every 5th course is run as Flemish bond,I assume for the headers to tie across both skins. They could be snapped but I don’t see what for-there’s no aesthetic benefit to having them. 
@Mags-can you see if the adjacent properties have the same issue? 
It’s curious that an extension was built with no knock through 

Adjacent properties have similar wooden built add ons like mine. It is not advised to have a bricks and mortar extension or concrete floor due to sewage pipe running down to main.

No one else's pointing looks as bad as mine but some may have had theirs redone and also some properties are rendered over bricks. 

2 hours ago, Brickie said:

I’d guess that crack works down to the corner of that reveal. Sounds like a settlement crack,annoying but very common. 

This is a picture if you imagine it on wall of house which is the back wall of the extension as you look at it.

Sorry for dire description and picture.

IMG_20210202_105407950~2.jpg

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

You could get them to install a couple of Helifix bars whilst they’re doing it-would help out & wouldn’t cost the Earth. 

Ok I will start looking round and get some quotes. 

So you guys don't think this is anything major? 

58 minutes ago, Brickie said:

I wouldn’t think so but seeing things in the flesh is much better. A structural surveyor would give you peace of mind & if you’re thinking of moving why not pre-empt what the buyers survey may pick up anyway? 

Yes I guess that way I will know for definite if it is just a pointing issue.

Would it put a mark against my property and address if he found anything though?