Parging Durisol: another steep learning curve.

I got a PM from a member who is about to parge his Durisol build.  On my build, as usual, I had never done this before. So this is a brief review of what, how, when .... and mostly it demonstrates yet another steep learning curve.

Here's what I wrote about it at the time

And this is the result ; each photo has a brief annotation to help explain.

20210131_114332.thumb.jpg.88e4a0744a754f7332a5b8222f4b2698.jpg

This photo shows two levels of parging - the RHS parging is thicker, much thicker than the LHS. You can hardly see the blocks

20210131_114423.thumb.jpg.06bf4838ab6e324892b248f213b462ed.jpg

I've chosen this photo (of the damaged corner) because it shows clearly the difference in thickness in coating: LHS much thicker

Here's the spiel about rendering and airtightness  : thing is from experience, I don't think you can get airtightness out of the parge coat alone : well, I can't anyway. Much more airtightness might well be provided by the following covering ( in our case ) Clober Permoforte Quattro. And, at that price, it should provide that. It's excellent by the way.

Put an  good plaster coat inside and you're well on the way to a decent breathable, airtight wall.

Thing is - what happens in way of (behind) the wall plates. I think I've missed a trick there.

Here's the point: I should have made the coating thicker. 

20210131_114322.jpg

20210131_114430.jpg

20210131_114314.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, SteamyTea said:

But that polystyrene ICF is, yes?

It’s about having a continuous concrete core, any block can be airtight if it has a continuous 150mm layer of well vibrated concrete. 

Its the block junctions where you have two layers of woodcrete touching each other, the woodcrete is a poor air tight layer and the gaps between the blocks even worse. 

Unless you where to use a can of squirty foam between each block they are inherently gappy and require a second airtight method. 

1 hour ago, nod said:

I’ve always parge coated the inside with bagged sound coat Cheap and quick 5 mil thick

Oh that word '... always...' 

Makes a first and only time self-builder jealous. Just think Gary, you'll have forgotten more than I'll ever know about parging.