Garage insulation/ plastering costs

Dan1983

Morning all,

we are in the final stages of sorting our house and garage build quote.

No surprise but we are now and the higher end of our budget so I’m trying to trim on cost to allow us funds at the end to complete patio etc.

The garage is 7X6m Oak frame with feather edge boarding and slate tiles.

The quote included low budget insulation, plasterboard and skimmed ready to paint.

The idea was to have x2 oil filled electric rads incase I wanted to work in there in the winter to just take the chill off.

If we leave the inside bare it will save approx £2200 off the quote.

Looking online, plasterboard and insulation will not amount to much but does anyone have any idea of cost to skim this sort of an area including ceiling?

I still want to do it, so it there is a decent saving then I will, but If it won’t be much less than 2k I will just get the builder to do it.

many thanks for any info

What spec is the insulation ..?? I make that about 90-100sqm in total, so the cost of 70mm PIR would be around £1000, the board is probably £250 and the skim plaster would be £80-100 or so. That would be £1300 for materials, add paint and sundries and you’ve got £900 left for labour. 

I don’t think to be honest a lot of that is unreasonable, so I think you’ll be looking at either doing some of it yourself or dropping it although to save the money ..? 

Hi Peter,

i agree, just spoken to my neighbour, he has just finished insulating his garage and also thinks savings will be marginal.

plus bonus of VAT free if I get it all done at the same time.

Decision made will stick with builder doing it

Why not stain the ply boards and just fit plastic T pieces at the joins, for example:

https://www.tubewaysales.com/cat/plastic-board-and-panel-profiles/plastic-t-section/

Can look quite good, say grey stain, black trim or a funky contrasting colour to match your classic! 

Tbh though I'd think very carefully having ply in a working garage, it'll go up like a torch in a fire.