Major, simple insulation improvement has been made...

woodman

Hi, I thought I'd share a significant insulation improvement I've made in my bungalow...

It's a 1970's split level bungalow, with the living accomodation upstairs.

Having thoroughly draughtpoofed,  installed modern double glazing, new energy efficient doors, underfloor insulation, cavity wall insulation, removed all window reveal cold brdges and insulated them, 400mm of loft insulation and MVHR, I expected the place to be really warm.

But I always detected a sort of cold downdraught from the ceiling. Very strange. 

I recently had the roof tiles and membrane replaced. Whilst the old roof was off, the likely culprit became visible. 

As its a pitched roof, the inner wall is of course taller than the outer, this taking the weight of the roof trusses. So the top 400mm of inner wall leaf comprises effectively a single skin, uninsulated block wall, in what must be the worst position possible, all around the top of every external wall, where the internal temperature will be highest, therefore leading to max heat loss.

So, while the roof was off, I insulaed this vertical section with rockwool, leaving room for ventilation between the new membrane and insulation.

The result?

An incredible difference. The cool downdraught has completely gone, no more feeling of cold feet. 

All for the cost of two rolls of 200mm rockwool....

• Like 5

Having done re roofing for people I have come across this a fair bit, one house had black mould on bedroom walls near the ceiling and insulating like this cured it completely . It’s the attention to detail that makes the biggest difference. Well done.

• Like 1