MVHR terminal

yes, I have it for both supply and exhaust, you can also get some that sit flush, but you need to make sure there's enough air coming through, as there are some that are not suitable for mvhrs. If I remember correctly you need at least  10000mm2 clearence in the vent for 125mm ducting.

35 minutes ago, Savage87 said:

yes, I have it for both supply and exhaust, you can also get some that sit flush, but you need to make sure there's enough air coming through, as there are some that are not suitable for mvhrs. If I remember correctly you need at least  10000mm2 clearence in the vent for 125mm ducting.

ok thanks for your help 

cheers

I am also considering these Ubbink for my 150mm inlet and exhaust. Since they will be through the roof how do you cope with

1. Access for cleaning the inlet grill? Do you fit some internal filter?

2. Making the ducting slope downwards to allow condensation to run out? Is there another way to stop moisture running back into the MVHR unit?

I cant see how either of these 'best practice' design features can be achieved with roof vents. 

Additionally, does anyone have experience of these Ubbink cowls in very windy locations?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Andrew Sharratt said:

I am also considering these Ubbink for my 150mm inlet and exhaust. Since they will be through the roof how do you cope with

2. Making the ducting slope downwards to allow condensation to run out? Is there another way to stop moisture running back into the MVHR unit?

I cant see how either of these 'best practice' design features can be achieved with roof vents. 

Additionally, does anyone have experience of these Ubbink cowls in very windy locations?

Thanks

No knowledge of Ubbink but I recently removed the inlet grill to fit cedar cladding and quite surprised at the amount of rubbish in the grill. This was after only 8 months.

So access for cleaning quite important.

Inlet.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew Sharratt said:

Thanks

I'm guessing that some sort of filter can bit fitted on the intake, before the MVHR unit, which is accessible for cleaning but i have not seen anything on it, hopefully someone else knows ? 

33 minutes ago, Jason L said:

I'm guessing that some sort of filter can bit fitted on the intake, before the MVHR unit, which is accessible for cleaning but i have not seen anything on it, hopefully someone else knows ? 

Yep search duct filter housing 

• Like 1

@Jason L We used this style of cowl vent, clearly no use on a roof but may be there is something similar somewhere that would work on a roof? I think they are similar to @JamesP's but with a much coarser mesh.

IMG_6848.jpg.a5ad21edf82d576f3b2f46b3373c6864.jpg

The coarse mesh will probably let lots of rubbish through, so minimising external cleaning requirements. I made a 'pre filter' just prior to the MVHR to catch that rubbish. The pre filter also allows access to the back of the cowl so I can clean it from inside the house. 

My pre-filter is probably over large and it turns the airflow through 90° but I reckon something much more compact could be knocked up as an in-line filter. Provided it was big enough to get an air line in you could blow all the crap of any external mesh from within. 

IMG_8129.thumb.JPG.44d505c4df030225607d3498b2a19d8e.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@Jason L We used this style of cowl vent, clearly no use on a roof but may be there is something similar somewhere that would work on a roof? I think they are similar to @JamesP's but with a much coarser mesh.

IMG_6848.jpg.a5ad21edf82d576f3b2f46b3373c6864.jpg

The coarse mesh will probably let lots of rubbish through, so minimising external cleaning requirements. I made a 'pre filter' just prior to the MVHR to catch that rubbish. The pre filter also allows access to the back of the cowl so I can clean it from inside the house. 

My pre-filter is probably over large and it turns the airflow through 90° but I reckon something much more compact could be knocked up as an in-line filter. Provided it was big enough to get an air line in you could blow all the crap of any external mesh from within. 

IMG_8129.thumb.JPG.44d505c4df030225607d3498b2a19d8e.JPG

Cheers.  I have looked there are pre made pre filters for the ductwork maybe I can put it close to the roof vent as suggested. Cheers 

40 minutes ago, Andrew Sharratt said:

Thanks for the ideas for an inline inlet filter.

How about the condensation? How do you stop moisture running down from a roof vent?

I guess if it’s just below the roof vent it won’t get condensation above it.