How far in should a window be positioned

dangti6

Is there a ‘standard’ for the depth within the opening a window should be positioned?

Here I have placed the window about 25mm in which looks fine. I am going to have the exterior rendered, which would add say 10mm or so? Therefore to retain that depth once rendered I should fix it about 15mm inside by my estimations. Does that sound about right?

CD8BE574-D3EF-47FE-86D9-504458EB9DCC.thumb.jpeg.882a545c049afa8847a8f2e15d4ed899.jpeg

Also on a similar subject, I see people usually cut the sill to the width of the window when not having it overhanging each end. Is there any benefit to me cutting the sill straight, but a few mm wider than the window to make it neater when the render overlaps? (Opening is several mm wider either side to allow for expansion/packing etc).

3 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

It’s not a cavity wall, 215mm block on belly garage wall.

I imagine the benefit of setting it back in further is more surface area for render.

I set all ours at 50 and did the render myself 

7F964A1A-7A13-48D0-953C-42B221CB349B.jpeg

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

Very smart. Is that K rend?

I may well take the plunge and have a go myself. I wonder whether something like a roughcast finish may be better for a DIY effort. 

Rough cast is definitely more forgiving 4-1-1 mix 

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

I like inside the masonry, fully in the insulation layer, fixed behind the masonry rain screen 

Ditto, I fixed my windows behind the brickwork, in the insulation zone and inner blockwork skin has a bigger hole so windows inserted from inside called check reveals  (and I angled my reveals ?). 

• Thanks 1