MVHR and open fireplace

39 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

then the Building Regs inspector will want to see that the MVHR complies with Regs.

If he bothers, mine just said “oh you have got MVHR so don’t need trickle vents” others here have had to give figures (I had a copy of someone else’s results and cut and pasted my details on them in case he asked ?). It’s also been said that some  BC,s have asked for a “qualified” person to design and instal the MVHR but its been established there is no “qualifications “ (unlike part p for electrics).

I would just leave the seal off the door. With our cloakroom the door should open outwards to meet building regs, my BC spotted it opens inwards but said “if I make you change it round you will only put it back after sign off!” So he let it go.

As we live in a very rural location and like windows open in the summer there is no need (IMO) fir MVHR to run them so I switch mine off. If you were in a town with pollution and noise it would make sense to leave it on all year.

I toyed with the idea of a sensor that only switched the MVHR on when the air quality was bad but was told this is more difficult than it sounds, we do have a RH detector so when the relative humidity is high (bath, shower, cooking) it ramps up to boost.

Edited by joe90

6 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

I would not even bother attaching it to the wall, why not just get the below and keep in a cupboard and wheel out when necessary. Rather than having an eyesore on the wall?

We have this and have used it once when it was frosty, -5 and overcast, back in the cupboard afterwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-Cadiz-Electric-Free-Radiator/dp/B002G09OXQ

I've already purchased it and fitted a socket strategically over the main entrance door with it in mind. It's unlikely anyone will ever look at it. 

Also that lovely one you selected it over 5 times the price. You've underestimated how tight I am! 

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

I would just leave the seal off the door.

Or, install the door as you want. When it comes to final inspection take the whole door off and put back when they’ve left!

• Like 1