Last thing inspected by building control?

Working (very slowly) through my house renovation and was pondering what the last thing building control inspect? How long are they with us for? Or does it depend on your area? I had sort of assumed it would be the staircase but a building project up the road were chatting and said that building control wanted to come and check when it was all finished.

For information, I have a bungalow that I am converting into a chalet bungalow. So new roof, extension, staircase and the addition of a porch. 

They will want to check that you've actually finished the work listed on your application plus they will want copies of the electrical completion certificate and gas safety cert (if you've done work on the gas & electric).

In my experience during the various Covid lockdowns some Inspectors will accept a set of photos or a video of the completed building instead of a visit to site.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 2

On 11/01/2021 at 10:26, Lets said:

Working (very slowly) through my house renovation and was pondering what the last thing building control inspect? How long are they with us for? Or does it depend on your area? I had sort of assumed it would be the staircase but a building project up the road were chatting and said that building control wanted to come and check when it was all finished.

For information, I have a bungalow that I am converting into a chalet bungalow. So new roof, extension, staircase and the addition of a porch. 

Sounds obvious but it's the last thing you complete :)

We had a final physical inspection with a to-do list of outstanding items - most were paper based, MVHR commissioning cert (DIY), electric & gas sign-offs etc.

We had some outstanding glass to install (Juliette balcony) so just sent pics of that with a tape to show it was the correct height.

• Like 1

We recently got a Temporary habitation certificate, they required electrical, gas G3 etc paperwork for that.

For completion it seems they just want to see the last bits of the building completed, ammended plans as I made a few trivial internal changes, and an air test paperwork.