Heat and CO Alarm

Triassic

I need to fit a combined heat and COalarm in the open plan living space of our small cabin, its got to be mains powered to meet Building regs. The living space contains the kitchen and a Wood burning stove, it has a cathedral ceiling. 

Having looked on on line at my local supplier I'm a bit confused. How come such an alarm can range from £16 to well over £100.

What would you recommend when looking for such an alarm.

edited meant CO alarm

Edited by Triassic

Definitely CO not CO2

They don't have to be in one unit, you can have a heat alarm and a CO alarm, interlinked so when one triggers, both sound.

Without a doubt get Aico. you should get them for about £30 each if you look hard enough on ebay, that's where I usually get them from.

If you are mounting them on a sloping ceiling this may be an issue for some makes. On a previous job I got written confirmation from Aico that they were happy for them to be mounted on a vertical wall close to the apex of a room with a vaulted ceiling (at least 300mm away from the "corner") and building control accepted that.

33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Definitely CO not CO2

They don't have to be in one unit, you can have a heat alarm and a CO alarm, interlinked so when one triggers, both sound.

Without a doubt get Aico. you should get them for about £30 each if you look hard enough on ebay, that's where I usually get them from.

If you are mounting them on a sloping ceiling this may be an issue for some makes. On a previous job I got written confirmation from Aico that they were happy for them to be mounted on a vertical wall close to the apex of a room with a vaulted ceiling (at least 300mm away from the "corner") and building control accepted that.

+1

Deffo go for 2 separate units from AICO

market leaders for domestic IMHO 

Do you also require a smoke in an escape route,? I've not come across anywhere yet that hasn't required at least one smoke detector,

I recently done a commercial garage workshop where the FO specified a smoke alarm to be fitted, we had to put it inside a 'cupboard' (of sorts) otherwise it would have went off every time an engine was started, FO was happy enough with it,  :/

The cabin is basically an open plan living space 3 x 5m, a small bedroom and a small bathroom, oh and a cupboard! The only door is the front door opening into the main room.

I'm planned on installing them on the vertical surface of a perlin about 2/3rds the way up the sloping roof.

A'm I ok fittng them next to each other?

Edited by Triassic

Oh, how deep does the purlin extend from the ceiling,?

150mm iirc is the maximum distance,

So looks like you may not be able to install them on the vertical as they (usually) need to be 300mm from any adjacent fitting or surface.

14 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Oh, how deep does the purlin extend from the ceiling,?

150mm iirc is the maximum distance,

So looks like you may not be able to install them on the vertical as they (usually) need to be 300mm from any adjacent fitting or surface.

I could fit them on the slope, I'll just have to pull the cable back a bit! 

There is also a set measurement for anything that extends below the ceiling a certain depth it then splits the room into a different compartment as the smoke folds along it, rather than traverses it,

I'm not sure how this equates to a sloped ceiling though, I'd have to look it up, 

TBH, I wouldn't worry about your situation though with it being one room in reality,

But deffo keep them 300mm from and adjacent fitting or surface.