Kingspan aeromax plus - flashing code 14?

RossG21

Hi guys, I’m Ross.

First of all just like to thank everybody for commenting and helping people in previous ASHP threads. I’ve used these over the last few days to try and pin point what is wrong with my system. Unfortunately I now find myself in unfamiliar territory and seeking help from the experts.

Please excuse the lack of knowledge I have and I will do my best to answer any questions. 

I am currently running a Kingspan aeromax plus ASHP with a Kingspan Aerocyl (single coil) cylinder. 

Last week we lost all the heating and hot water, a friend of mine who is an electrician came to have a look at the cylinder. Quickly he found the immersion heater had gone and so we replaced with a new immersion heater. This has now given us hot water once again. 

I filled the cylinder, bled the radiators, topped up the pressure on the expansion vessel, got rid of any air locks in the hot water. (I believe this is all that needs to be done)

I have checked the two thermostats and when calling for heat, the pump kicks in and the ASHP starts up no problem. After 25/30 mins of running the pump stops and the error code flashes once then off for 2 seconds and flashes 4 times. Am I right in thinking this is error code 14? Ive also taken the front panel off the ASHP to reveal the led and this is flashing the same sequence. I have tried to find a command unit to try and give me more information, but I haven’t found one. 

So last night I took the 3 way valve off and made sure the valve was operating as it should and I can’t see any blockages etc so I have now re-fitted this. 

I’m really struggling now as I’m fearing I’m out of my comfort zone if the problem lies in the ASHP. I’ve spoken to a few local companies, but they are only available at the end of January to come and look at it. 

Obviously Christmas is approaching, so any help or advice is most grateful. 

Thank you,

Ross

A quick google finds a fault code chart here  https://www.manualslib.com/manual/876339/Kingspan-Aeromax-Plus-Air-Source-Heat-Pump-Package.html?page=10

Code 14 means "Loss of Signal From inverter board / High Temperature Release (Thermostat on compressor: 120° ± 4° C)" 

So unlikely to be related to a fault in the house plumbing.

Hi, thanks yeah this is now unfortunately where I am at. I am happy like you say with the internal set up that it is is all working as it should, but with no heat being produced from the ASHP.

If there was a loss of signal from the inverter board I’m guessing it wouldn’t recognise a call for heat? I’m not sure. But its recognising the the call, but then just not producing the heat as it should. 

Could it be a coincidence that the immersion failed and then some component on the ASHP, or could it be something that the immersion has caused? 

Thank you for the reply...

I would take the cover off, give it a heat demand and run outside to see what it is doing.

Does the water circulating pump come on?  Does the fan start up?  Can you hear the compressor start up?  Is the inverter that drives the compressor a stand alone unit and if so does it have any lights on it, if so what do they tell you?

Re the immersion failing.

I suspect all that tells you is the ASHP had failed earlier and it had been using the immersion as a backup heater and you had not noticed that the ASHP had failed?

Thanks guys....so I’ve done what @ProDave has suggested and called for heat. It started this way last night, but now the error code 14 flashes straight away and no fan starting today now. Last night there was a clicking sound upon ASHP starting could this be the compressor?  @Gav_P i can have a look at this now, I’m guessing I’m looking for anything obvious. 

@ProDave yes the circulating pump was coming on last night and all seemed to be running as normal without the heat, but failing after 25/30 mins and then producing the error code. 

Now on trying this again with the heat demand, today I have no fan and no circulating pump kicking in....

I think the right hand one with the 2 brown wires is a thermal cutout.

With all power OFF, do you have a multimeter, if so what is the reading on ohms scale between the two brown wires?

I take it you have done a complete power down to reset the fault code to let it try again?

If that area is very hot, leave the power off completely for some time before trying again.

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think the right hand one with the 2 brown wires is a thermal cutout.

With all power OFF, do you have a multimeter, if so what is the reading on ohms scale between the two brown wires?

I take it you have done a complete power down to reset the fault code to let it try again?

If that area is very hot, leave the power off completely for some time before trying again.

Currently the fan is running and the circulating pump inside is running....no error codes as of yet. I’ve got a heat demand from one of the thermostats, so waiting to see if anything happens. I don’t have a multimeter, I can get hold of one of need be. Yes I’ve done a power down in terms of turned the switch off in the cupboard and the rcd on the mains board... I’m sorry even the simplest of electrical tasks are not my thing, but my friend is an electrician so willing to step in if I need him.

At the moment it's a case of documenting exactly what happens when and in what order.

So when cold, and after a power off reset, you have the circulating pump and fan running but no sound of the compressor running?

Are there any lights in the inverter board?

EDIT: Is that meant to be a video clip?  I am just getting audio but it sounds like it might be the compressor running.

I wonder if it's lost it's Fgas pressure?  I would have thought it would throw a different error if it had, but a compressor running but not making heat would tie with loss of Fgas.  But you would need an Fgas heat pump engineer to check it and re gas it if that were the case.

• Like 1

Very interesting.....yes trying to piece it all together step by step and it seems to becoming clearer. 

Is there any way of checking for the gas pressure? Or you would you advise trying to get hold of an engineer with the findings?

Seems to make sense then especially if @joe90 is only slightly warm. Mine is very very hot. 

If this is to become too hot, I’m guessing the thermal cut off will engage and shut everything down?

Thanks for all the comments, very much appreciated 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RossG21 said:

If this is to become too hot, I’m guessing the thermal cut off will engage and shut everything down?

Makes sense to me. Not that I know anything about anything.  

mine has been running for 20 minutes now and is still cool to the touch. ... so definitely an area to investigate. 

If it were me, I would find a friendly a/c engineer and ask them to take a peek at it. They will know straight away, even if they haven’t worked on a kingspan/carrier/glow worm variant air to water heat pump. 

Just now, Gav_P said:

Makes sense to me. Not that I know anything about anything.  

mine has been running for 20 minutes now and is still cool to the touch. ... so definitely an area to investigate. 

If it were me, I would find a friendly a/c engineer and ask them to take a peek at it. They will know straight away, even if they haven’t worked on a kingspan/carrier/glow worm variant air to water heat pump. 

Yes I think this is what I will do, with the information/comparisons that you guys have given me at least I’m giving him/her something to go off. 

I will see what I can, given the timing etc isn’t great. I’ll keep you guys posted as to what happens.

Any more information in the mean time is gladly welcomed....

Thanks guys 

• Like 1