Choice of construction method for toilet walls

Olf

Well we all know toilets sometimes are noisy :)

I'm planning to build a small one downstairs, with a wall dividing from the living room.

Originally it was supposed to be a load bearing wall, so full block - with sound deadening as added bonus. It appears the beam will be supported in a different way, so now I have a choice and with that comes problem...

What will be better from sound insulation perspective : 100mm block wall, or equivalent stud wall filed with acoustic wool? Or is there any better fill to reduce sound transmission?

Is there any calculator that one can tinker with different materials to see their effect on noise, something like U value calculator for thermals?

Two walls built with steel stud and track, isolated from each other

if you go on a lot of the plasterboard manufacturers websites they will have a good few methods of constructing a robust sound proof wall. 

The last thing I would build it out of would be solid block. 

You need to imagine sound travels through any material, by having a gap you stop the transfer. 

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

Dense solid concrete blocks give best sound deadening. Ensure no air paths, through ducts under floor or via ceiling void 

I would completely disagree with this, you don’t see many commercial projects where sound transmission from room to room is a crucial element being built with blockwork. 

9 inch solid walls are terrible at keeping sound out. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

The last thing I would build it out of would be solid block.

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

Dense solid concrete blocks give best sound deadening.

I call it a draw :)

And no offence to either of sides - there is a lot of information on thermal properties including how to calculate them,  whereas sound transfer is treated more by qualities (the denser = the better), but nothing that could be quantified.