Building Control: hot water pipes and storage of material

ToughButterCup

8 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Thanks @ADLIan , but does  the compliance guide make reference to what you can and cant store next to the pipes? Probably not.

NO!!!!! But he needs to insulate his pipes!

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

My colleague was told that there might well be a problem if he intended to store suitcases next to a hot water pipe. They are not boxed in.

The BCO was being subtle.  He could have said "I'm going to fail your entire house for non compliance with part X paragraph Y subparagraph z and if you don't comply by my next visit I will be initiating enforcement action ". However BCO are generally more amicable than Planning Officers so instead he said "Those hot pipes might damage your Louis Vuitton" in the hope you might get the hint. Seems he failed ?

Edited by Temp

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

The BCO was being subtle.  He could have said "I'm going to fail your entire house for non compliance with part X paragraph Y subparagraph z and if you don't comply by my next visit I will be initiating enforcement action ". However BCO are generally more amicable than Planning Officers so instead he said "Those hot pipes might damage your Louis Vuitton" in the hope you might get the hint. Seems he failed ?

Why the Feck didn’t he just say “your pipes need to be insulated “ to pass???

1 hour ago, jack said:

What pipe and where? And to which building regulation is he referring?

Hot water pipe in (passing through as it were)  a built-in  wardrobe on its way to the hot taps in the sink and bath in the ensuite. Top temperature in a heat wave 60.

@Temp , you must be a very nice man, a very very nice man.            Subtlty - in West Lancashire -  come and visit sometime?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jack said:

What pipe and where? And to which building regulation is he referring?

Approved Document L para 2.42 says..

"Reasonable provision should be made to limit heat losses from pipes in accordance with the Domestic Services Compliance Guide."..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697525/DBSCG_secure.pdf

Not sure if that mandates insulation for hot water pipes as I've not read it.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Approved Document L para 2.42 says..

"Reasonable provision should be made to limit heat losses from pipes in accordance with the Domestic Services Compliance Guide."..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697525/DBSCG_secure.pdf

Not sure if that mandates insulation for hot water pipes as I've not read it.

I know about that building regulation, although it was completely ignored by our BCO, incidentally.

My (obliquely made) point was that if the BCO believes a regulation is not being met, he/she should point at the regulation rather than making inane comments like "there might well be a problem if he intended to store suitcases next to a hot water pipe".

• Like 1