How to finish underlay strip at mortared verge

kestrel

The eaves felt along the south facing roof on my house has perished and needs replacing...

Im planning to do this with a synthetic membrane which will probably be around 10 or so inches wide(will get a better idea when i inspect the full run)

the question Ive got is how do you fix the membrane at the verge ends making sure it doesn't fall down into the eaves space?

Im able to slip the membrane up and under the cement board under cloak but cant secure it to the end rafter or the top edge of the gable since the verge tiles are all mortared in place?

Was hoping to do this without having to lift the verge tiles

Any ideas of suggestions on what others have done?

where the felt has rotted, there is little to no run off into the gutter do ive got lots of watermarks down the front of the fascias. also noticed some getting inside when inspected from the loft. some places it looks like the felt has rotted a few inches higher than where plastiv eaves protectors will reach so i need to fit a strip of membrane or dpc  to repair the damaged felt.

just not sure how best to secure it at the verge ends under the cement board without it coming loose

Edited by kestrel

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Pictures?

I can't see how you can correct this without taking a couple of rows of tiles off.

Yes i forgot to mention that.... id be removing the first few rows of tiles.

Only removed the tiles temporarily in a couple of spots where the water marks on the fascia were the wost for a quick look at what is going on so far. 

Will get some pics when I get a chance 

Just trying to think ahead and work out how to do the end of the run where the tiles are mortared in at the verge and if ill need to allow time to remove and refit the verge tiles 

Edited by kestrel

so heres a couple of pics that hopefully explain my question a bit better....

From underneath with the soffit removed you can see where the felt has rotted away and needs to be replaced and eaves trays fitted

image.png.756f0f837e84d8af173252c4fed8d2ac.png

below you can see where the old felt was tucked on top of the cement board under cloak at the verge.

I actually thought that the felt was supposed to go underneath the cement board....

Which way round is correct? 

image.png.698760905d0d0eceb1c46843e2783cc6.png

from the top i can remove tiles up to and including the one pointed out by the pry bar...... the verge tiles are mortared in place so can be moved without breaking the mortar

image.thumb.png.bd72bbd5c50e5b27c2ab572efbf1b6cf.png

When i replace the felt/underlay what needs to be done in order to secure the underlay when i get to the verge/cement board/gable end, given that the verge tiles are bedded in?

assuming the underlay should be nailed to the last rafter, then tucked over the gable and trimmed is the only option to break the mortar, remove enough verge tiles then rebed once the new underlay is in place?

Is there another way to do this with out disturbing the verge?

hope this makes sense