Is a larger more powerful motor likely to be louder or quieter (cooker hoods)?

Oxbow16

Hi 

I'm looking at getting a new cooker hood.  Like most people I guess, I want it to be as effective as possible but without the need for ear defenders while cooking  :lol:

I'm looking at this Luxair hood and the stats are here:

https://luxairhoods.com/image/catalog/PDF/Cooker Hoods/Wall Hoods/STD/LA-STD Technical Info 2.pdf

They put a smaller motor in the 60-90cm hoods, and a larger one in the 100-110cm hoods.  The larger motor pulls a heck of a lot more air, but is quieter.  All the stats are in the link.  But for example, the best comparative is speed 3 on the smaller vs speed 2 on the larger.  

Small motor = 680m³/hr.  61dB.
Large motor = 700m³/hr.  52dB.

I have been speaking to Luxair about other stuff and tbh I'm not convinced by all of their answers and specs.  Which is why I thought I'd check with you guys whether this seems plausible or illogical.  

Any thoughts?  

Cheers

Edited by Oxbow16

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I have the motor mounted in the roof space, so it is really quiet in the kitchen.  I got rid of the extract motor and just left the light.  I got a TD Soler & Palau inline 6" fan, switched from the wall in the kitchen.  £160 ebay

I take it that the fan just runs flat out with no way of changing the speed without getting into the roof space.

1 hour ago, nod said:

I’ve a Luxair  very powerful 

It’s quiet on setting one 

On setting four we need to hold on to Something fixed 

Which model have you got as mine is mounted on a drop ceiling and is struggling to extract so need something with more power.

Larger fans are quieter than small ones if the airflow is the same. I mean if the flow rate in m^3/hrs is the same. Its because the larger blades can turn slower and still achieve same airflow.

Edited by Temp

13 hours ago, Declan52 said:

I take it that the fan just runs flat out with no way of changing the speed without getting into the roof space.

I had fitted it with a S&P REB1N speed controller but it was crap.  I just swapped it for a switch.