Advise to get into bricklaying

Eddy

Hi there 

I’m 33 years old and wanting to get into the building trade, have very little experience but I’ve worked on a few jobs here and there with family members whom were in the trades, enjoyed it but life took over and never fully studied to learn a trade. Now I desperately want to get into bricklaying as done a little bit helping out somone and enjoyed it 

trouble is finding it hard to know what route I can go down

i have my CSCS card thinking do I become a labourer on site first and at least be in the environment and learn skills

cant really go college cause hard at moment with adult duties(I have kid and all and the bills ect as we do)

I really have a passion and want to change my career and follow this through

all though my trouble is I’m not a teenager anymore and have bills to pay.so can’t just go to college full time.

any advice form anyone would be great cheers

eddy 

Your best bet would be to look around your area for some one looking a labourer as a start. It would get you in through the door and be earning decent money and open your eyes to how hard physically it's is to do it each and every day. You could even end up driving a digger, dumper or telehandler which all pay a decent wage.

The problem with starting it at your age your not going to be able to build enough bricks and blocks to cover your wage for 2-3 years and like most of us the bills will keep rolling in and need paid. It's fine when your only earning £100 a week when you're 16 and have no out goings. Different story return you have kids to pay for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Your best bet would be to look around your area for some one looking a labourer as a start. It would get you in through the door and be earning decent money and open your eyes to how hard physically it's is to do it each and every day. You could even end up driving a digger, dumper or telehandler which all pay a decent wage.

The problem with starting it at your age your not going to be able to build enough bricks and blocks to cover your wage for 2-3 years and like most of us the bills will keep rolling in and need paid. It's fine when your only earning £100 a week when you're 16 and have no out goings. Different story return you have kids to pay for.

Cheers mate 

yeah I guess going the labouring route will defo be hard on low wages your right, but it’s either low wages for a small time or low wages for all my  life, ill

be stuck in the job/industry (hospitality)

forever which I detest

im a pretty active physical person love hard work labour, just didn’t get to the trades in time 

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

Cheers mate 

yeah I guess going the labouring route will defo be hard on low wages your right, but it’s either low wages for a small time or low wages for all my  life, ill

be stuck in the job/industry (hospitality)

forever which I detest

im a pretty active physical person love hard work labour, just didn’t get to the trades in time 

good luck to you @Eddy. I admire someone willing to make such a big change to their life in order to be happy. I wish you all the best.

have you thought about approaching the Job Centre about re-training courses? I thought the government were doing a campaign recently to get people retrained in to new industries.  

Best of luck fella. hope it works out for you. I walked away from a job in banking in the late 80's. It was driving me nuts. I had 3 small children. It was very, very hard, but i had the support of my wife. I was let down by several friends who said "if you ever want to work with me" etc. Helped a few people ad hoc, and worked on a guys house who asked me if i fancied fitting kitchens. I worked up to fitting high spec hand built stuff, and then set up my own kitchen company. Gave me a decent life in the end. Hard but rewarding.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thorfun said:

good luck to you @Eddy. I admire someone willing to make such a big change to their life in order to be happy. I wish you all the best.

have you thought about approaching the Job Centre about re-training courses? I thought the government were doing a campaign recently to get people retrained in to new industries.  

@Thorfun cheers mate gotta try it at least , yes I have looked into that, but as I’m working full time anyway I don’t meet the criteria’s 

cheers anyway fella 

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

Best of luck fella. hope it works out for you. I walked away from a job in banking in the late 80's. It was driving me nuts. I had 3 small children. It was very, very hard, but i had the support of my wife. I was let down by several friends who said "if you ever want to work with me" etc. Helped a few people ad hoc, and worked on a guys house who asked me if i fancied fitting kitchens. I worked up to fitting high spec hand built stuff, and then set up my own kitchen company. Gave me a decent life in the end. Hard but rewarding.

@Big Jimbo wow inspiring story mate,

fairplay  to you, hope I can do the same and withstand the hardship 

I’d contact any local Brickie contractors and see if they need a labourer to mix up. You could offer to do a few days for very little to see how it goes and to see if you like it. You might get lucky and find someone happy to let you practise on the job in between mixing up.