ASHP: Ecodan vs LG vs Vaillant

BartW

6 minutes ago, J1mbo said:

Normal set point is 55*C. Weekly boost to 70*C for legionnaires control.

Pretty good.

I keep meaning to look (relearn) the formula for working it all out for different gasses, and then wonder why we don't use water as the refrigerant.  It has such good figures for fusion and vaporisation compared to almost everything else.

57 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Pretty good.

I keep meaning to look (relearn) the formula for working it all out for different gasses, and then wonder why we don't use water as the refrigerant.  It has such good figures for fusion and vaporisation compared to almost everything else.

Interesting thought. I found this explanation:

"The main problem with using water as a refrigerant lies in the compression stage of the refrigeration cycle. One desirable property of a refrigerant is that it should have a low boiling point. In order to lower the boiling point of water, we need to subject it to extremely low pressures. These pressures cannot be obtained with a conventional compressor and also water creates such a volume of vapor that the compressor needed would be huge. Even if we managed to design such a compressor, it would take a lot of energy to get it down to such low vacuum pressures that the refrigeration system would end up being inefficient. Water is as such an inefficient refrigerant because it requires too much power to make any sort of refrigeration happen."