Standard Size Windows

ZacP

I've read a lot about 'standard' size windows but cant find a list of what these standard sizes are. Trying to save money by using off the shelf so to speak as much as possible (2.4m high internal rooms etc.) rather than going too bespoke.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I don’t think this happens over here, it’s an American Australian thing. 

My house in oz was like this, it made perfect sense, but when I looked into it over here it just didn’t exist. 

Every company for QUALITY products just told me they are all made to measure. 

I think it it stems from the new build market in England is tiny, whereas the refurbishment market is large, we are stuck in this transitional time warp of things still being measured in feet and inches. 

There is a tiny market for 1200, 1500, 1800 wide windows. 

I think the only way to go cheaper is to drive over to Poland and collect them. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

If I’m designing something with standard casement windows, then I work on the premise of 600mm (1-pane), 1200mm (2-pane), 1800mm (3-pane) and 2400mm (4-pane) wide windows. In relation to their heights and working on the basis of 2.4m floor to ceiling heights... 1200mm deep for standard windows and 1050mm deep for those above worktops, i.e. Utility and Kitchen. Also use 1050mm deep for window above W.C.’s. All of those would have head heights 2.1m above DPC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZacP said:

I've read a lot about 'standard' size windows but cant find a list of what these standard sizes are. Trying to save money by using off the shelf so to speak as much as possible (2.4m high internal rooms etc.) rather than going too bespoke.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Depends on your external finish ...? Traditionally, windows were made to “work bricks and courses” so for a standard metric brick plus mortar joint you worked on units of 225mm horizontally (or 112.5mm for a half) and 75mm in height. 

This is why you get “standard” heights of 900/1050/1200/1500/1800 as they all work to brick courses. 

Thanks all, makes sense. So I'll be making sure our windows match with the sizes of blocks for the isotex blocks. This might not make the windows cheeper, but the forming of the openings will be easier and therefore cheeper.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, ZacP said:

Thanks all, makes sense. So I'll be making sure our windows match with the sizes of blocks for the isotex blocks. This might not make the windows cheeper, but the forming of the openings will be easier and therefore cheeper.

Thanks!

There’s a lad in nailsworth who built with nudura, he sized his openings to match the width and height of the blocks, he had very little waste, also look at the length of walls, i resized all my wall length to 50mm increments as this is a cut point on the blocks I used. 

As my walls are brick I didn’t want odd brick bits  (yes OCD) So got the bricklayer to only lay whole or half bricks giving door and windows openings at an approximate size, then I had bespoke windows and doors made to fit those openings. 

8 hours ago, joe90 said:

As my walls are brick I didn’t want odd brick bits  (yes OCD) So got the bricklayer to only lay whole or half bricks giving door and windows openings at an approximate size, then I had bespoke windows and doors made to fit those openings. 

This is the route i'd like to go down, but I don't really want too much delay whilst my windows are on order though. How long is the process? It would be awful having a shell and roof and then a 3 month delay till watertight for windows! 

11 minutes ago, ZacP said:

How long is the process? It would be awful having a shell and roof and then a 3 month delay till watertight for windows! 

What windows do you want ..? Timber ..? uPVC..? Aluclad ..?? Unobtanium coated ..??

My current supplier for white uPVC is on 5-8 weeks depending on the glazing, coloured uPVC at 9-12 weeks due to issues with supply of the profiles. Local timber window place is talking 8 weeks currently, so you can see the pattern and trend. 

Your other option is do it how it was “traditionally” done and make forms for the window openings to exact sizes and build them in. You then know the frames will fit and you can order windows ahead of time allowing for the 10mm fitting allowances. 

22 minutes ago, ZacP said:

This is the route i'd like to go down, but I don't really want too much delay whilst my windows are on order though. How long is the process? It would be awful having a shell and roof and then a 3 month delay till watertight for windows! 

As my windows were made by a local small producer they only took 4 weeks (if I remember correctly) I have heard their lead time is now longer as their good reputation spreads. As @PeterW says, why not make formers.

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What windows do you want ..? Timber ..? uPVC..? Aluclad ..?? Unobtanium coated ..??

My current supplier for white uPVC is on 5-8 weeks depending on the glazing, coloured uPVC at 9-12 weeks due to issues with supply of the profiles. Local timber window place is talking 8 weeks currently, so you can see the pattern and trend. 

Your other option is do it how it was “traditionally” done and make forms for the window openings to exact sizes and build them in. You then know the frames will fit and you can order windows ahead of time allowing for the 10mm fitting allowances. 

Cost is going to be a big factor of the decision. We don't mind uPVC as you can now get some good ones with thinnish profiles, but hoping to go for Alu. Probably cant afford alu/timber or ones made out of solid gold... 

Good idea with the forms. I guess we'll have a good idea of how big they're going to be because of the sizes of the woodcrete blocks, but the forms give extra confidence that what we'd ordered would fit!

p.s. 10mm fitting allowance is new to me, thanks! saves a headache later!

Edited by ZacP