Where and when to use tile backer board?

Crofter

I'll shortly be buying some cement board to use in place of plasterboard behind the woodburner, but it's got me thinking, what's the consensus on using this stuff for its intended purpose?

In every house I've lived in tiling has always been done directly onto normal PB, even around baths etc. Not great when the time came to change the tiles, but other than that no problems at all.

But I guess the stuff exists for a reason...?

thats something I'd like to know too.  When doing previous DIY and bathroom renovations, I too just used normal plasterboard and tiled over it.  But of course, now having read stuff on the forum, I now would always do it the right way!  Just not sure what the right way is.......

I went to pick my backer board up from the BM last week. The guys in the yard had absolutely no clue what I was asking for, despite the office having sold me it and given me a ticket. Eventually had to get the manager to dig it out from a hidden hidey hole. So, yeah, they obviously don't sell very much of it!

I am tempted to use backer board in the shower enclosure itself, but irritatingly the sizes it comes in (800mm wide boards) don't tie with my stud centres. Plasterboard would be easier and cheaper...

40 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Think it's more to do with load bearing capacity. I always use pb and tank with ceramics

Yes. A lot of natural stone / travertine etc is very heavy per m2, but that can be combatted by fitting osb3 or marine ply first and then PB onto that with a few extra screws ;)

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use MR Plasterboard and tank it if your worried. ;)

Cheap as chips to get a kit

Does the kit "last"? As in I need corner tape and the liquid membrane to do my bath deck then later on the wet room corner. Assume there's no 2-pack mixing.....or is there? 

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Does the kit "last"? As in I need corner tape and the liquid membrane to do my bath deck then later on the wet room corner. Assume there's no 2-pack mixing.....or is there? 

Stainless steel bund, mate. You don't want to be taking any chances, do you?