Future proofing or waste of money?

Kilt

We currently have at room’s ceiling down for structural work, it’s right next to consumer unit and cable run for our external boiler. 

We don’t know what future heating system we’ll have, but the way the industry is going it’ll prob end up (5-10years) being some green system. 

With that in mind, I plan to Chuck in a 10mm twin+e and a 10mm CPc, incase we went with a heat pump. 

Bit overkill, but cable run is about 20m.. so for sake of a few extra pounds 10mm seemed a good plan. 

Am I daft? Anything else you’d Chuck in?

nothing getting connected up, just few meters slack stored in ceiling void by CU and few meters in cupboard by hole to outside boiler. 

3 hours ago, Kilt said:

Cable Run shape. Got to go up one floor, 90° bend into LR ceiling, through 12 joists, 90° bend into hall and back down to cu. 

Are they wooden joists or posi-joists? ?

Last time I did this I used this stuff for good bends:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-corrugated-conduit-white-20mm-x-10m/38177

F

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

Couple of runs of CAT6 and a run of 8 core 0.75mm control cable to wherever the hot water controls are 

Good shout, I’ve still some cat5e kicking about and hadn’t thought of control wires. 

10 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Are they wooden joists or posi-joists? ?

Last time I did this I used this stuff for good bends:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-corrugated-conduit-white-20mm-x-10m/38177

F

Wooden, so keeping holes to bare minimum. Was thinking might do flexi-con between joists for protection.. and maybe heat-loss as I might stick some rock wool in between joists for sound proofing. 

10 hours ago, TonyT said:

Sounds like a good idea!

Whats the existing external boiler?

Currently a Grant Vortex Oil. It’s on a 3a RCD fuse, but fed on dedicated supply (2.5mm + 6mm CPc) from CU. 

57 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Do you have plenty of ceiling height ie floor to ceiling?

it may be easier to strap the underside of the joists to suit plasterboard and use this to run the cabling in

sadly not.. and a screed floor on ground floor and UFH/biscuit mix on 1st floor. No way under either floor!