Foul drainage up a slope

WWilts

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

Are you measuring lids or invert levels ..?? How deep is the existing manhole ..?

Is the existing manhole the connection to the main sewer ..?

Lids (ground levels). Yes, invert of existing might well be far lower. Existing has drain connecting to mains sewer.

Sewage pumps are somewhere where cheap isn’t best, and you need to size them correctly to allow for power outages, blocked pumps etc. Twin rail pumps in large tanks, failure alarms, 

all sorts of considerations are needed before you go this way.

The main consideration should be “do you need one”. 

You need to have a proper invert survey done, and get the invert levels of the sewer and any intermediate ICs/Manholes between your start point which you can assume as 600mm below target finished floor level, and the road. A 1:80 drop will mean you need to have a road invert of more than 1.25m,  assuming there is a flat site.

This would allow a standard connection which is much more preferable than a pump. Also bear in mind you cannot pump into a mains sewer so any connection would need an intermediate chamber and a road connection or if the sewage provider allows it, connection into the current house system.

This is also a building regulations requirement and is one of the first things they usually ask for, the drainage plan. 

• Like 1

I have installed a pump station in the past.  Although you can go for very expensive pumps, 2 pump systems, rail mount etc I think it is sometimes more practical to just have a fairly inexpensive single pump with chain plus a spare stored in the house.  Don't bother with servicing.  If the pump fails, swap it out.

• Like 2

Also bear in mind that when these fail the tank full of sewage is not all that bad.  Maybe I have poor sense of smell but lots of it will be water from showers, dishwasher, laundry.  Obvs a fair mix of floaters but the contents are regularly pumped away.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2020 at 12:36, Mr Punter said:

Also bear in mind that when these fail the tank full of sewage is not all that bad.  Maybe I have poor sense of smell but lots of it will be water from showers, dishwasher, laundry.  Obvs a fair mix of floaters but the contents are regularly pumped away.

On 10/11/2020 at 16:10, TonyT said:

Have a look at Kingspan, yes the insulation people!

They supply and install small pumping chambers in lots of different configurations, single pump, dual pumps, float on/off/high level warning etc.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...
On 09/11/2020 at 09:01, Mr Punter said:

Although you can go for very expensive pumps, 2 pump systems, rail mount etc I think it is sometimes more practical to just have a fairly inexpensive single pump with chain plus a spare stored in the house.  Don't bother with servicing.  If the pump fails, swap it out.

Is it reasonably easy and quick to swap out a pump?

27 minutes ago, WWilts said:

Is it reasonably easy and quick to swap out a pump?

If the chamber is outside it is a matter disconnect mains, open the lid, pull out the pump, which will be attached to a chain or rail, disconnect waste pipe and cable, connect pipe to new pump and cable to mains, drop it back in and switch on mains again.

You may like to take a shower after, or at least give your hands a quick rinse, before you go out to dinner with that nubile secretary from accounts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We’ve a klargester tank with a very good pump. We get it serviced annually as frankly poking around a 6ft tank of your own and others faeces or replacing a good pump which can be way over £500 when it costs 140 for the peace of mind of an annual service is no contest as far as I’m concerned. We’ve had one problem with it when my daughter conspired to wash pounds of dough down the sink two christmas ago which stuck to the float and the tank, tripped the fuse and brimmed - that was pretty horrible and completely avoidable if people did as they were asked and didn’t force literally handfuls of sticky dough repeatedly down the sink. It also highlights you really don’t want to be doing any repair on it unless you are mad as a box of frogs. Other than that it has been un-noticed and a picture of efficiency.

Edited by AndrewFitton