Coat Hook(s) In Cheap Doors

Onoff

In the case of cheap, paper honeycomb doors, the face material is often MDF just a few mm thick. Internal construction is something like this:

20200924_143654.jpg.3d987647833bc39b8cab9f3eee347d3e.jpg

Wanting to put some decent coat hooks in, without them pulling out (or compressing the door) I'm trying figure a way of strengthening this area:

20200924_143717.thumb.jpg.89e28f506105d329bce9b7b8418ffd8c.jpg

Half a thought to Starrett a round hole all the way through and glue in a round of softwood the same thickness as the door. 

Any ideas?

There's always those hook over coat racks I suppose.

Back of bathroom door with a couple of bathrobes on it. No prizes for style but 4 years and solid. Geometry of the hook doesn’t do funky things to the door.

Think I used an advanced plug in there (Rawl4All ?), probably a squirt of grab adhesive in the hole and then plenty on the back of the hook to stick to the door when screwed on. FWIW, it was the brown grab stuff not the white everbuild instant nails stuff I normally use.

90052970-FDA4-4587-8687-B10EDDACAC4B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Thinking maybe something like this with toggle type fixings? Maybe sand the gloss off where it sits and also stick with a smidge of something...

My issue with toggles in this application is that the holes you need are massive in relation to the screw  and you might not have enough space for the toggle in the hollow section due to the paper honeycomb. 

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

CNC a slot into the top of the door, 27.49mm by 43.16mm, then insert a long piece of timber 377.45mm long with a 0.75 degree chamfer on all sides ... Then screw the fixing into the timber behind the facing .... 

You joke but I was seriously considering routing out that thin piece of timber they edge the top of the door with and dropping in a block of timber.