Structural Engineer for ICF build

Piers

Hi everyone. I'm looking for recommendations for a SE for our ICF build in Hampshire.

Looking for a SE who is cost-conscious and not addicted to sticking unnecessary amounts of steel and concrete into the ground.

7 minutes ago, Piers said:

Hi everyone. I'm looking for recommendations for a SE for our ICF build in Hampshire.

Looking for a SE who is cost-conscious and not addicted to sticking unnecessary amounts of steel and concrete into the ground.

what ICF system ?

they don,t all need lots of rebar except for round opening- uk is not earth quake zone

check out  Istoex they offer services like that as part of their services-just give them the plan 

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

what ICF system ?

Undecided. Between Isotex and Durisol.

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

An SE for which aspect of ICF?

To include foundations, retaining walls (sloping site), and the usual openings, lintels, etc

Edited by Piers

25 minutes ago, Piers said:

To include foundations, retaining walls (sloping site),

now you just made it non standard mentioning retaining walls,etc 

so yes you will need an SE --but surely best to use the design  the maker of your chosen ICF   system  suggests 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

surely best to use the design  the maker of your chosen ICF   system  suggests

I want to examine all my options. Re: foundations - I know it's possible to use ICF underground but want to understand whether we should use it.

There's lots to consider with quite a few variables. One major concern is how to keep the basements dry and the choices we have in keeping water out and diverting it around the building (tanking, waterproof concrete, etc)

9 hours ago, Piers said:

I want to examine all my options. Re: foundations - I know it's possible to use ICF underground but want to understand whether we should use it.

There's lots to consider with quite a few variables. One major concern is how to keep the basements dry and the choices we have in keeping water out and diverting it around the building (tanking, waterproof concrete, etc)

I will be very surprised if building control accept anything but tanking and french drains-

this is why you need a design -

what you want and and what BC will accept could be totally different 

there are no extra problems using ICF  for basements than any other system and you already have said you are wanting keep concrete and steel down -- 

you will not find the  full solution for free no matter how  long you study the net 

pick a system 

an SE

and an architect

professional fees are part of the cost with a tricky site 

you already have all the info you get for free  already -by what you have said 

people who make your chosen system must be the ones to be at front of your design process --they will know cheapest way to build what you want 

I think  an architect who does  not  know system  will cost you money and delays 

If site is really tricky then you may need to spend some money on ground survey -to see if it will take what you want to do 

if its soggy --maybe it will have to a different system all together 

or spend large amount of very deep foundations  

sounds like you come to the end of the  guessing game road and now need to spend on ground surveys and professionals

then maybe you can decide what system you will use to build your house --

have you bought the plot yet?

Using Durisol blocks on 2 builds here, the sumps for the basement are shown here. Our SE was not aware of this type of build but she has certainly risen to the challenge. Crystal Engineering, Kirsty Hudson.  Lots of rebar for the basement as we are set in a hill, sumps took some head getting around but no 2 went far quicker than no 1. 

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg