Parge Coat over External Blockwork

Nick

Forgive the stupid question but when you're trying to achieve an airtight build, what is the typical thing to do with external blockwork that is going to be covered with cladding (let's say timber cladding over medium aggregate block)?

Would you parge/seal the blockwork in any way before putting the battens on to help water resistance / airtightness?

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

Forgive the stupid question but when you're trying to achieve an airtight build, what is the typical thing to do with external blockwork that is going to be covered with cladding (let's say timber cladding over medium aggregate block)?

Would you parge/seal the blockwork in any way before putting the battens on to help water resistance / airtightness? As a business I put hundreds of bags of the stuff on Most is for sound 

Its pretty pointless for airtightness 

But definitely not necessary on the exterior block 

Cavity wall, airtightness barrier would be the internal wet plaster finish.

Ground floor would be rendered and First floor would need cladding to match existing. If there's no benefit to treating the external face behind the cladding then fair enough - just seems odd to leave it bare when there's so much emphasis generally on sealing up blockwork to keep wind/water out.

7 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Waste of time i'd of thought. If it gets as far as into the cavity you're knackered anyway

Sorry, ya lost me?

I'm asking about parging the outside face of the external block with a view to keeping airflow and water out of the cavity...