Backfilling Trench along Boundary

shbrooks

We recently chose to replace our boundary fence as the concrete posts were leaning badly onto our neighbours side.

Our neighbours land is roughly 1 1/2 feet lower than our side so the concrete gravel board was acting as a retaining wall which had actually started bowing and cracking in the centre.  I decided to dig out a trench on our side to take the weight off the new gravel boards (now comprising a 150mm concrete board, with two 300mm durapost composite boards with a steel retaining rod) and was planning on shuttering this area and pouring concrete to create a self-supporting concrete strip.  I've now having doubts about this approach as I don't want to make this area completely impervious.

I'm looking for a solution which won't place load upon the new gravel boards, allows water through, but it solid enough to receive paving.

Any thoughts welcome.

IMG_20200906_102248.jpg

IMG_20200906_102302.jpg

IMG_20200906_102254.jpg

IMG_20200722_170530.jpg

IMG_20200722_170537.jpg

Edited by shbrooks

I'd do it with gravel or even river pebbles, so it can be replaced next time and will stay drained.

Unless you are desperate for the path width.

You could also do some planting there.

The other use I have made of a gap like that is to put all the spare bricks I have left from the build. So they are out of the way but available for  the next project.

Edited by Ferdinand