Basic upvc frame job Q‘s.

zoothorn

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yes crack on and get the glass in. Have you fitted glass to a upvc window before?. Best to get the short pieces (top first then bottom) this stops the glass falling out , then the long side bits, bend them to get the ends in first then push the middle till they click in place.

joe90, last Q really..

I have these whatnots included, presumably seat jobs the frame sits on/ understood. But have I got this right?

They have wee 'legs' -my pencil points to one- which unless squeezed in & slipped behind the ridge ( the Top whatnot is pressed in like so )... the bead can't be pushed in place, these two legs are in the way. The black Lower whatnot here, isn't pressed in. 

No instructions with it. Youtube clips just show someone placing on two whatnots.. no ultra hard pressing in of any legs afaict.

The whatnot won't go t'other way round/ legs twds the back.. cos then more of overlaps the bead recess, bead wouldn't go in.

657C18EE-E0C2-4D6F-B03F-458A06A87663.jpeg

They are spacers to stop the glass sitting in any water or damp that gets in the frame, I don’t know why they have “legs” they usually just sit in the frame, perhaps they are keep then rigid, can’t see from the photo very well. Anyone?

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

They are spacers to stop the glass sitting in any water or damp that gets in the frame, I don’t know why they have “legs” they usually just sit in the frame, perhaps they are keep then rigid, can’t see from the photo very well. Anyone?

Figured it out- they must go other way in fact/ legs at back just need forcing in. Well they're in now anyway.

Glass in/ beads on.. b'stards to get on mind you!

I can relax with weather seriously closing in tmrw now. Nick of time. Very satisfying. Both recent jobs have been.

Huge thanks again y'all. Within 5 pages too!

This build lark is damn good for self-confidence & contentedness combined. Very rewarding. Zh

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Until the next window then!

Nope. That was the only old wood frame SG window in the house, all white upvc DG now. 

Just 3 more DG units to replace mind, but done before/ no need to ask again.

Thanks, zh

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Until the next window then!

Onoff what do I do here, I have two gaps far left & right, where old wood cill edges were, & rendered around. Pic1.

And what to fill this outside top gap with? 600x16mm. The other side will be pb glued onto the lintel grate thing/ easy as not needing to be weatherproofed.. but this outside does. Pic2.

Thanks, Zoot 

0859AC4F-D5BE-464C-AC08-35F77FF1699B.jpeg

D36A1439-0A0A-42EF-8B5D-7F96A04794D5.jpeg

Mix up some 4 or 5:1 builders sand / cement with waterproofer in and render it. Try and match the pattern as best as by stippling with a paint brush or something. Paint to match.

That's what most normal people would do.

I can hear you whining now that you can't get it to stick! 😂

As above, don’t overthink, just do it.

if you don’t have waterproofer  already, don’t worry, bit of pva if you have it (also good to prime the hole for better stickage)

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Waterproof PVA is better.

Tbh use some PVA wood glue if desperate. Mix 5:1 as the liquid for the cement mix. Getting the right consistency is the key. 

Great thanks, got all that stuff. This window is located as I call it down 'my back passage' tucked away not seen, sheltered.. ie doesn't need to be perfect.

And use the same ( render or mortar/ whatever it is!) to fill my gap above frame too?

Thanks, zoot 

56 minutes ago, markc said:

As above, don’t overthink, just do it.

if you don’t have waterproofer  already, don’t worry, bit of pva if you have it (also good to prime the hole for better stickage)

Hi markc thanks for this help: is this mixture then 'render' or just a general 'mortar'?

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi markc thanks for this help: is this mixture then 'render' or just a general 'mortar'?

Hi, the mix is similar but as you are using it to form a finish or waterproof barrier then it’s render, mortar is the same stuff used to stick bricks or blocks together (although ‘stick’ isn’t strictly correct). As it’s a vertical surface and you don’t want it to sag, mix slightly on the dry side so it doesn’t slump

22 minutes ago, markc said:

Hi, the mix is similar but as you are using it to form a finish or waterproof barrier then it’s render, mortar is the same stuff used to stick bricks or blocks together (although ‘stick’ isn’t strictly correct). As it’s a vertical surface and you don’t want it to sag, mix slightly on the dry side so it doesn’t slump

Aha that's a good lesson summed up in a nutshell. Thanks.

So fairly stiff so it doesn't slump. And this for the gap above frame too? (600x16mm)

Thanks, zoot 

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

So fairly stiff so it doesn't slump. And this for the gap above frame too? (600x16mm)

Yes. Best applied from a hawk with a small trowel. 

Force it in, overfill a bit & when it's going off but not gone off, rub it level with the original reveal using a bit of sawn timber. Like 4"x2"x1/2" thick. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2022 at 16:27, Onoff said:

Yes. Best applied from a hawk with a small trowel. 

Force it in, overfill a bit & when it's going off but not gone off, rub it level with the original reveal using a bit of sawn timber. Like 4"x2"x1/2" thick. 

Few update photos, great results. Just finishing bits to do/ paint reveal inside & out, varnish cill/ blind up- done.

Thanks chaps! Zoot

14143667-3EE5-4B56-8CF8-28ECABDD1827.jpeg

66C458D3-AB9E-4B7F-AFF2-0B7BD7A88E95.jpeg

• Like 2