Wanted: 92.5 degree double branch adaptor (110mm)

ProDave

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Do you find as a plumber you have to carry lots of different makes of waste pipe and fittings so whatever you are presented with you can find somethign that matches?

I honestly find it appalling that pipe sizes are not standardised.

To be honest, I don't. You've simply chosen a fitting which is of one discipline, and you wanted another. That's it really. 

Push-fit waste is one 'set' of sizes, and solvent is another ;). I've had a few occasions where solvent fittings have been slack on the pipe, rather than snug, but a generous layer of glue and some longer curing time has usually sorted it. 

For the remainder of your plumbing adventure, remember to distinguish between PF and solvent and you'll suffer less headaches B|

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

To be honest, I don't. You've simply chosen a fitting which is of one discipline, and you wanted another. That's it really.

Push-fit waste is one 'set' of sizes, and solvent is another ;). I've had a few occasions where solvent fittings have been slack on the pipe, rather than snug, but a generous layer of glue and some longer curing time has usually sorted it.

For the remainder of your plumbing adventure, remember to distinguish between PF and solvent and you'll suffer less headaches B|

Yes but don't you think it's a shambles that three different sized ranges of pipe can all be described as "50mm"

From now on I will be referring to the pipe by it's actual size so I am currently plumbing with 56mm solvent weld.

In my previous house I discovered that you can't rely on one make of push fit waste to fit another, particularly with some of the obscure makes sold by some of the sheds, so that's when I converted to solvent weld which generally all fits. Also in the previous house I used those rubber reducing plugs into a boss which are far more forgiving with slightly different sizes of pipe so hadn't discovered my current problem in that situation.

Anyway I hope others reading this thread will take note of the "peculiarities" of the way waste pipe sizes are described and can save them some trouble.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

in the previous house I used those rubber reducing plugs into a boss which are far more forgiving with slightly different sizes of pipe 

In a previous house I used one of those and found the pipe crept out of the bung over time, I think it was the expansion and contraction when running hot then cold water. In the end I had to fit a DIY retaining strap to stop it happening. I now try and always use solvent weld all the time.

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Looking good. Is that acoustic rock wool you've wrapped the pipework in?

I was given several bags of rockwool offcuts. Most of them were used in the garage ceiling to stuff in between the webs of the posijoists (and normal frametherm in between the joists)  I had some left over so used it as the first layer in that bit of the floor for no other reason than using them up.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I was given several bags of rockwool offcuts. Most of them were used in the garage ceiling to stuff in between the webs of the posijoists (and normal frametherm in between the joists)  I had some left over so used it as the first layer in that bit of the floor for no other reason than using them up.

I bet that'll cut noise down a bit better than PIR or expanding foam.