Wanted: 92.5 degree double branch adaptor (110mm)

ProDave

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Last question (before I order some more fittings)  I assume where the WC soil pipe joins it wants to be a 45 degree branch and then a 45 degree bend as we discussed before to "get things going in the right direction"

Sorry only now seeing this O.o

Yes, if you have the space for it ( them ). 

Why use a branch at all there ? Does the 110mm soil have to run passed the WC you pictured? 

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Sorry only now seeing this O.o

Yes, if you have the space for it ( them ).

Why use a branch at all there ? Does the 110mm soil have to run passed the WC you pictured?

No the soil does not, but the 50mm sink waste must.

So the branch is just a way to continue the 110omm for enough to get a reducer, in fact the reducers linked to above will plug into the socket of the branch directly.

I could mess about with a boss on the horizontal soil before the WC but that then means an extra elbow on the sink waste. My philosophy is keep the water flowing straight as possible with minimum bends so I don't like that idea.

Hmmm. Your plumbing like a sparky :D

Id go for a bend on the soil not a branch EVERY day of the week. 

Bossing a waste in after the invert goes horizontal would be much better imo, but if you can get a Y branch in and rectified to vertical then go for it. 

Deffo strive to get the offset waste to 110mm adaptor as that will be another safe measure. 

I've ordered the parts. Photo's in a few days when they arrive. But what is is with bloody mail order, why can't you buy ONE length of 50mm? That'll have to wait until i'm passing TP.

I'm plumbing like my dad taught me. Straight simple runs, as few joints as possible.  You wait until you see my copper plumbing, i'm very handy with the bender to avoid elbows......

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I'm plumbing like my dad taught me. Straight simple runs, as few joints as possible.  You wait until you see my copper plumbing, i'm very handy with the bender to avoid elbows......

Do you think that might come from bending conduit as a sparks?

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I've ordered the parts. Photo's in a few days when they arrive. But what is is with bloody mail order, why can't you buy ONE length of 50mm? That'll have to wait until i'm passing TP.

Get your camera flashing then, and let's have a butchers :)

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Do you think that might come from bending conduit as a sparks?

Possibly, but it's years since I have bent conduit. My own (ex my dad's) Hilmor only has the pipe size formers, not the conduit ones.

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

Possibly, but it's years since I have bent conduit. My own (ex my dad's) Hilmor only has the pipe size formers, not the conduit ones.

I've just inherited some boxes of assorted electrical gear and noticed there was a spare former in there. You can have it when I get around to sending that other thing. Think it might be 25mm though. Might be the 20mm in there when I go through it.

You wanted some pictures.....utility_drains.thumb.jpg.4e230fa647c40b2f18dee4cf8f794e14.jpg

That's the stack rising in the right hand corner. you can see the branch under the floor that leads to the "provision for a shower" drain point.

To the left of that is the riser for the WC, the branch and 45 degree bend just fit within the floor make up, allowing for the UFH build up, so the socket of the 45 degree bend will be a few mm above FFL.

The 50mm will continue left about a metre before turning upwards to come up under the sink unit. (I don't have any 50mm yet)

shower_branch.thumb.jpg.0bae73a6d4481c678718cf12a3569013.jpg

Looking down from above, that's the branch for the shower. It will remain capped in the joist space and will only ever get connected to if anyone installs a downstairs shower.

corner.thumb.jpg.d42ec906b13037adab54dbef06641b16.jpg

And the top of the stack. That's the corner branch that started the thread, Left hand outlet will feed toilet #1 and the right hand outlet will branch again to feed toilet #2

• Like 2

Nice work on the underfloor plumbing, that's what I think I would have done. I am on my site today putting my first fix soil pipes in whilst the builders are putting the I joists down so I can feed the pipes through the webs as you can't do it afterwards.

Okay, some HELP needed urgently before I have a Victor Meldrew moment.

I bought a 110 to 50mm reducer as seen in the pictures above.

I bought some 50mm solvent weld fittings from Screwfix, but they will only sell you a bundle of lengths of pipe, not just one.  Today I passed TP and bought 1 length of 50mm solvent weld pipe.

The pipe fits the SF fittings BUT it will not by a LONG way fit into the 110/50mm reducer.

The vernier calipers tell me the diameter of the hole in the reducer is a shade over 50mm. It's labelled as "Reducja HT Plus 110/50"

BUT the pipe (remember I asked for "50mm" is close on 56mm outside diameter.

It's this sort of nonsense that drove me mad with waste plumbing years ago and I learned then to get everything from the same make at the same time otherwise there was no guarantee anything would fit.  Why can't you buy a "50mm" pipe and expect it to fit any "50mm" fitting? Absolute nonsense. Can you imagine if only crabtree 2.5mm cable would fit into a crabtree socket?

Do I change the pipe? or change the 110/50 reducer for a 110/56 reducer, even if such a thing exists.

yours VM.

P.S that's this weekends work messed up as I can't finish the under floor plumbing and get on laying the floor :ph34r:

Ha ha, had just this problem on site myself yesterday, you need to put a fitting on the 50 mm pipe, straight join or bend or something and the fitting external diameter fits the ( so called) 50mm socket, mine was not a reducer but a boss joint ?

Yes screwfix do sell single pipe, I bought some, item code 88188.

Best of luck ,

Edited by joe90

1 minute ago, Triassic said:

Ah good point, so the reducer is male and the coupling is female. 

Ah, just re read Dave's post and he implies the pipe is too large for the reducer, mine was too small so I may have got the wrong end of the stick ( that will teach me to speak read) .  

Cant find what I think you need from screwfix but this is what I think you need and it's FloPlast so should all fit.

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/floplast-sp95-soil-reducer-110-x-50mm-grey-(pack-of-10)/?gclid=COKTxKGt9NECFQMM0wodAywHUg

The reducer is 110 male (that bit fits, stack pipes seem to be standard regardless of make) the "50mm" end of it is female but it's internal diameter is a lot smaller than the OD of the "50mm" pipe.

I got the reducer from ebay (because I could not find it anywhere else), I can hardly try fitting a bit of pipe on the screen can I?

I can see I am going to enjoy this waste pipe plumbing NOT.

When I did my bath waste @Nickfromwales said to do it in "50mm". Off I went to Plumbcentre, asked for 50mm and came back with a bunch of solvent weld parts inc stuff to reduce down to the sink waste that tees into it. It's all in and working. I've just had a look / measure of the CB3 elbow. Stamped on it says 55mm  but is nearer 56mm. YET its a 50mm on their site:

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/center-cb3%3Ab-abs-knuckle-bend-8850-deg-50-mm/

The sink stuff says 36mm on it but measures nearer 37mm on th OD. And that's from their 40mm range!

Didn't mean to give you a bum steer on that part btw! 

I wonder if 50mm refers to the internal diameter in the way plumbers refer to "3/4" nominal bore" pipes?

Okay, done some measuring.

Osma "50mm" pipe measures 56.5mm OD That fits the "50mm" solvent weld fittings that I have.

I also bought a "50mm to 40mm" reducer. The OD of the "40mm" end is 42.7mm

So how do I solve my problem?

Do I seek out a reducing coupler that's really 56mm internal diameter?

Or do I BODGE it. I have found a short length of pipe that is actually 50mm OD and fits my reducer. The OD of that is also a fairly snug fit INSIDE the Osma 50mm pipe. So Do I solvent weld the smaller pipe inside the Osma pipe?  I am sure it would work but honestly I should not have to be bodging it like that with an odd short offcut from some previous plumbing nightmare.

There must be a "what fits what" table somewhere giving the ID and OD of "standard" makes of pipe and fitting and what fits what.

This is almost as bad as us electricians having to deal with different makes of standard MCB that don't fit into other makes of board.

According to the link in OnOff's post above, even "50mm" push fit has an OD of 54mm, so I appear to have a fitting made for "metric pressure pipe" being the only one where a "50mm" pipe is actually 50mm diameter.

Do you find as a plumber you have to carry lots of different makes of waste pipe and fittings so whatever you are presented with you can find somethign that matches?

I honestly find it appalling that pipe sizes are not standardised.

Ihave emailed two different ebay sellers asking them to confirm that their fitting will fit Osma 50mm solvent weld pipe with it's OD of 56mm.  It's the wait to get the next fitting to try that bugs me.