Wanted: 92.5 degree double branch adaptor (110mm)

ProDave

One question you did not answer, is when using a boss to connect smaller pipes into a horizontal 110mm pipe, do you have to use the TOP entry only?  Using the side entry just seems "wrong" although I have seen it done.

41 minutes ago, ProDave said:

One question you did not answer, is when using a boss to connect smaller pipes into a horizontal 110mm pipe, do you have to use the TOP entry only?  Using the side entry just seems "wrong" although I have seen it done.

I tend to go in at the 10 or 2 angle and then use a 45 elbow to drop the water into the pipe - basically it lifts any burrs from the boss above any potential flow and puts the bottom of the inlet pipe at about 80% of the 110mm which is pretty high up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I tend to go in at the 10 or 2 angle and then use a 45 elbow to drop the water into the pipe - basically it lifts any burrs from the boss above any potential flow and puts the bottom of the inlet pipe at about 80% of the 110mm which is pretty high up. 

Sorry. 

+1. The boss should be about a metre from the invert so the contents of the pipe aren't doing a loop the loop where the boss is. That's more of a consideration if the soil is coming around a horizontal bend then hitting the boss location, but if you've only got vertical drops to the invert then you won't have any probs having the fitting I linked being the next component directly after the bend.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Sorry.

+1. The boss should be about a metre from the invert so the contents of the pipe aren't doing a loop the loop where the boss is. That's more of a consideration if the soil is coming around a horizontal bend then hitting the boss location, but if you've only got vertical drops to the invert then you won't have any probs having the fitting I linked being the next component directly after the bend.

The current layout is as my diagram a few posts up, so just a short drop from each pan into a horizontal run. Unless of course things change which is entirely possible.

(I use the term "horizontal" meaning set to a slight fall of course)

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

(I use the term "horizontal" meaning set to a slight fall of course)

Yes, we should clarify that ;)

Having those pushfit bosses straight after the bends would be fine, or at any other point in the runs. Basically, stick 'em where you like :)

• 3 weeks later...

The next installment as I plan my stack plumbing.

I am starting at the bottom as I am about to start putting the floor down and insulating it. Todays job was install the branch for the possible addition of a ground floor shower (a building regs requirement here). That is entirely under the floor and will be the only bit of the stack that is hidden.

So now that's done, I have the stack rising from the floor in the corner.

pipe.jpg

The OSB that the pan sits on (and no that's not the pan that's actually going in) represents finished floor level.

The branch will have a pipe running left to the WC.

The next "puzzle" and the point of this post, is as well as the WC, I want a 40mm pipe going left of the WC to serve the sink and washing machine.

I had hoped to put a boss under the WC branch but there is not enough room for that.

I might be able to put a boss immediately above the branch but depending on what WC I actually fit, I don't know if it will pass behind the WC above it's outlet.

I could put the boss under the floor and take the 40mm along and up, but I am really trying to avoid "plumbing" under the floor where it is not accessible.

So what are the options to join the sink into the same pipe as the WC. For instance put a branch behind the WC then a boss adaptor "plug" into the left hand end of that branch? would that be acceptable?

Or getting clumsy now, continue the 110mm left of the pan, into a boss and use the top inlet of the boss for the sink?

Or other ideas please.

Personally all my plumbing is under the floor in solvent weld and coming up ( hidden) to basins etc. I would even feed the toilet up from under the floor but I am a bit OTT on pipework showing ?

Edit to add I am not sharing any pipes, other than 110mm,  they all feed back to the soil pipe in either 50mm ( long run) or 40 ( shorter)

Edited by joe90
Added
  • Like 1

Originally I had intended just a bit of 110mm pipe then a right angle pan connector, and keep the sink waste separate.

My proposal at the moment is put another 92.5 degree branch behind the pan with a short straight pan connector and what I mentioned as a boss adaptor "plug" would be better achieved by the fitting OnOff linked to. I had not seen one like that before and that would make a neat solution. Obviously I would orient it so the sink enters at the top of the 110mm.

I really want to avoid any under floor plumbing. I am not leaving any access to the under floor void (as there will be nothing there to service) and I only want one pipe penetrating the floor (and needing sealing) not multiple pipes.

Teh shower waste branch is a building regs thing. You have to provide space for a downstairs shower AND provise a drain point for it. So I have branched off the stack under the floor joists,  and the capped end will finish in the insulated space between the joists and will not penetrate the floor air tightness membrane (it will be photographed before being covered so show to building control if they ask) 

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Is that a Scottish reg as I had heard of it but no mention to me for my build and my floor is concrete with UFH which WONT be dug up.

Yes it's in the 2013 Scottish building regs. you don't have to provide a downstairs shower, but there must be space somewhere to fit one, and it states in the regs (and my BC inspector told me) you must install the drain point ready for it.

@ProDave

Why the gripe about having joints under the floor? Your entire run will be part hidden / boxed / buried outside so why not have that branch under the floor and then rise behind the pan? You'd be able to boss into that with next to no boxing-in in the bathroom other than the rising vent stack. 

110mm push fit / solvent soil fittings are extremely reliable and robust. I'd reconsider tbh, as it'll save you a lot of extra work to go in the empty void underneath.

49 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

@ProDave

Why the gripe about having joints under the floor? Your entire run will be part hidden / boxed / buried outside so why not have that branch under the floor and then rise behind the pan? You'd be able to boss into that with next to no boxing-in in the bathroom other than the rising vent stack.

110mm push fit / solvent soil fittings are extremely reliable and robust. I'd reconsider tbh, as it'll save you a lot of extra work to go in the empty void underneath.

You are probably right. It wouldn't be quite "under" the floor. The branch for the shower drain is only just under the joists, so I could insert the WC branch directly into that which would put it within the width of the floor joist.

are you suggesting I then boss into the vertical pipe rising up behind the WC? or boss into it under the floor and bring the 40mm up through the floor?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

are you suggesting I then boss into the vertical pipe rising up behind the WC? or boss into it under the floor and bring the 40mm up through the floor?

The latter, unless you can get a bossed socket in between the pan connector and the invert ?

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The latter, unless you can get a bossed socket in between the pan connector and the invert ?

It's burying the 40mm under the floor that I really want to avoid.  If nothing else I am sure I can get a strap on boss on the pipe behind the WC. Perhaps that's the compromise?

Just not the nicest looking job IMO that's all. Using an all solvent boss fitting, and all solvent joints in the 40mm is what I always do, and haven't lost a patient in 20 years. 

Bite the bullet and sling it all under the floor ;) Fwiw, I always run 50mm under floors for showers, not 40mm. Am I reading right that it'll never be used?

The branch for the (non existant) shower is 110mm. It rises from under the floor in an elbow that's then just fitted with a blank plug. It's just to the side of where the shower would go. If ever a shower was fitted I would remove the blank plug, fit a boss, and have a short run of 40mm within the joist space to connect the shower.

I'm talking here of another branch off the stack for the WC and utility room sink (which will also serve the washing machine)

I'm coming round to putting it all within the joist space, but not liking any of the 40 (or 50) mm in there. Thinking of clearing a blockage, not worried about solvent weld failing.

Where the 50mm ( deffo upsize for utility ) comes up,out of the void, simply fit a tee with a cleaning eye. Then you can get one of those flexible drain rod things down there if the wee beastie ever blocks. If it does, I'll come up and do it for free. ;). 50mm will guarantee you a good air break, allow almost anything to get down the pipe to the soil run, and have a much better 'accumulative crud redundancy' factor. 

With both the soil and the utility connections rising from under the void, you'll have no need to box in. 

"Winner, winner, chicken dinner". 

Last question (before I order some more fittings)  I assume where the WC soil pipe joins it wants to be a 45 degree branch and then a 45 degree bend as we discussed before to "get things going in the right direction"