Permitted Development Question - rear/side extension

tp1

Hi all

Apologies for another newbie question.

I am looking to extend out the back and side and am under the impression that a wrap-around extension does not fall under Permitted Development. 

If I was to extend "separately" out the side and out the back would this be ok (under PD) and would there be much difference in price given its the same size? Neither direction is going beyond 3m from house or should cause any other PD issues) 

Many thanks in advance

Pictures might help:

1. Current house footprint (including old out building to be demolished)

image.thumb.png.ab7e95e0c77211d494e67374b111f2b4.png 

2. Potential wrap-around extension

image.thumb.png.85aa358fba89c4747d73303004761c2b.png

3. Potential "separate" extensions

image.thumb.png.c163ada44731058bb7f866919b5a7527.png

image.png

Some wrap around extensions can be carried out via PD providing they meet the PD criteria for both side and rear extensions, so they’re not completely ruled out.

Number 2 would require formal Planning and number 3 would normally be considered PD. That is assuming you are talking about single storey extensions? If so, then if number 2 is your preferred option, what’s stopping you from going down the formal Planning route?

7 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Number 2 would require formal Planning

I assume you are saying this because the side extension seems to be slightly larger than the previous footprint? Otherwise it would just be replacing existing to the side and only extending behind existing to the rear. So falls under PD?

Edited by Gav_P

I think a lot depends on if they consider the outbuilding to be part of the original house. Was the outbuioding constructed before 1948?. The original building is defined as...

“Original”  -  means  a building as  it  existed on 1  July  1948 where  it  was  built  before that date,  and as  it  was  built  if  built  after  that  date.

If before 1948 then option 3 might need planning because you are extending forward of the original front elevation. Eg the outbuilding is not an outbuilding and you are extending it forwards.

Edited by Temp

14 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

@Gav_P I think you need to read up on the PD rules ?

Your quite right.. I was talking complete rubbish.  No 3 is obviously achievable by PD. 

But why would no 2 need PP? Because the side extension projects beyond the rear of the property? 

43 minutes ago, Temp said:

I think a lot depends on if they consider the outbuilding to be part of the original house. Was the outbuioding constructed before 1948?. The original building is defined as...

If before 1948 then option 3 might need planning because you are extending forward of the original front elevation. Eg the outbuilding is not an outbuilding and you are extending it forwards.

Does that matter? The side extension can go as far forward as the building line (front of the house). 

3 hours ago, Temp said:

option 3 might need planning because you are extending forward of the original front elevation.

But there isn't anything stopping the OP from removing the "outbuilding" (although an outbuilding is usually a separate/detached structure) and then building a single storey side extension the full length of the original dwelling.

2 hours ago, Gav_P said:

But why would no 2 need PP? Because the side extension projects beyond the rear of the property?

No but because the extensions would join together meaning the PD rules for side extensions would not be met, i.e. more than half the width of the original house.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gav_P said:

Does that matter? The side extension can go as far forward as the building line (front of the house). 

I believe if built before 1948 the front of the outbuilding would also be considered the front of the original house. See top of page 15 in the technical guide.

and the definition of original...

“Original”  -  means  a building as  it  existed on 1  July  1948 where  it  was  built  before that date,  and as  it  was  built  if  built  after  that  date.

So if built prior to 1948 it doesn't matter if the outbuilding was an extension its considered part of the original building.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1