Opinions on Gallows Brackets

Laurence737

Hi Everyone,

We are having our chimney breast taken out on the ground floor, leaving the rest as we have a decorative fireplace in the bedroom we want to keep.

we have had a couple of builders come to quote, one of whom was advocating that we install gallows brackets, and the other saying he would never install gallows brackets now.

are there any pros and cons to them, or is it just a different way to skin a cat?

cheers

I wouldn’t fit them. Depending on the construction method, you can have a chimney that is not fully bonded to the walls so there is too much of a load onto the gallows. If you really want to do it, see if you can get an RSJ into the floor below the chimney between the walls and use that. 

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I wouldn’t fit them. Depending on the construction method, you can have a chimney that is not fully bonded to the walls so there is too much of a load onto the gallows. If you really want to do it, see if you can get an RSJ into the floor below the chimney between the walls and use that. 

That was the plan of the builder who was against gallows brackets. And is perfectly possible as we are ripping the whole place apart at the moment.

I think that’s what we’ll go for based on the feedback 

• Like 1

RSJ/UB are better especially if you are in a semi or terrace and other side has or will remove their side as well.

PS I dont think they make RSJ beams any more, have been replaced by Universal Beams (UB) but the old name is still used by some people. They are essentially the same thing. Just mention that in case you get a quote that refers to a UB.

Edited by Temp

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

Does it depend where you remove the chimney from, so if you were removing all the breasts, would you still use a UB in the loft or would gallows brackets do there?

If the lot is going, take the roof stack down too otherwise they can - and do - bring the gable walls down. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

If the lot is going, take the roof stack down too otherwise they can - and do - bring the gable walls down. 

not easy in a semi detached though is it unless the neighbours and council agree?