Corner plot planning

Cresswelle

Hi everyone.

So I live on a corner plot in Stockport and have a generous garden to the side and rear. We have planning permission for a single storey extension the full length of the house approx 9.8 m and 3 metres to the side. 

considering going 2 storey just at the front section (for an additional bedroom and leaving the back as single) as quotes we’ve had are pretty ridiculous. Thinking it may be the best move long term but our architect seems to think we may struggle to get it through planning due to the building line on the side street. Anyone been in a similar situation? We can’t afford to do a double length length and don’t think we need the space really so  hoping that just going up partially maybe more favourable to planning. 

going to submit for pre planning and see but are we totally wasting our time? 

thanks

emma 

It has to be worth a try.  Care to post some pictures of the plot or an anonymised satellite image?

At a previous house with a large side garden we built a large side extension.  I had first got permission for and built a detached garage that broke the building line on both streets. I had to go to appeal to get that, but I guess that then set the building line so the side extension was well within that new building line.

This is the site plan. As you can see the approved extension breaks the build line anyway so I don’t see why an extra level would make too much difference. The front elevation would be in line with similar houses on our road albeit they are not corner plots 

PROPOSED_SITE_PLAN-996173.jpg

A two storey extension has much more of an impact than a single storey extension irrespective of the location/position of the property. It is however a little different for a corner plot because the overbearing impact can be seen to be a little worse. If you are going for any two storey side element, check your LPA’s policies and guidance on subservience.

Also note the single storey extension could be carried out via PD, assuming the rear projecting part is ‘original’ and not a previous extension.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

It has to be worth a try.  Care to post some pictures of the plot or an anonymised satellite image?

At a previous house with a large side garden we built a large side extension.  I had first got permission for and built a detached garage that broke the building line on both streets. I had to go to appeal to get that, but I guess that then set the building line so the side extension was well within that new building line.

The rear part is an extension that was done prior to our purchase. We already have the planning for a single storey jus not sure if we are wasting our time trying to get additional approval for a double. 

there is a property close by that is similar to ours which is in the process of having a double so I’m gonna see if I can track down their planning app 

You need to make sure that *both* streetscapes are enhanced.

We had a conversation last year about a side extension on the corner of an estate road where the proposal gave an awkward looking facade to the side road, and had been refused for that reason iirc. To be fair, the house was already looking a little awkward.

EC335CBC-7F3B-4B62-9E05-2C8394510E66.jpeg

unclear-facade-house.jpg

This was suggested as an idea:

Front Elevation.jpg

Thread here:

Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Cresswelle said:

Did you end up not bothering or applying for planning anyway? 

ive been to see the house near me and they have def built over the build line. It’s number 46 on the below street plan. 176674DF-1903-48F7-B130-32219786B099.thumb.jpeg.b6428fd52be727ace68cb45287b9ba4f.jpeg280E1837-AFF6-4B24-B1F8-E286048B1687.thumb.png.74c08a8c7700276dfa6da44e5ce3979b.png

You would need to PM the OP of the thread.

I’ve found this on the planning site which states as long as I leave half the boundary then it’s more acceptable. The side garden is 4 metres across so we could

just bring the front in to 2 metres and then extend up. Just means the room would be 2 x 4.5 which is probably ok for what we need 

B74C85B8-A69C-4C64-A21D-33970F98592B.png

2m internally. Be two slim for a Bedroom but we could shuffle things round Internally to make it work. 

The architect has come back saying that our case is strengthened by the local example and we are leaving a good 1 metre from the boundary wall so worth a shot 

• 1 year later...

@Cresswelle - any update on how this went?

I have a similar scenarion. I want double story on a corner plat but it will come out of the building line of houses behind me that face the adjacent road (their front is in line with my current side). However, my 'side' is 14m long and I want to extend 5m into it. So I was looking at your example of staying well within the boundary. 

• 3 weeks later...