Steel Portal Frame fire proofing

DC5

Hi folks our last query on our building warrants is they are unhappy with the fire protection on the steel frame.

The designer has gone back and suggested 2x12.5mm gyproc encapsulation and they have said this isn’t allowable according to the white book.

They are now talking painted intumescent layer!

ive not used a steel frame before just wondered if this is fairly normal and easy to have painted ie is this something the supplier would normally do?

Any comments appreciated.

thanks  

If you can do the plasterboarding it is much easier.  The intumescent paint is very expensive, messy and needs loads of coats to achieve the design thickness.  Use Fireline plasterboard.  It is much better value than Glasroc.  Depending on the steel section, you may need 2 layers.  There is a reference table in the White Book C03 Steel Encasements.

40 minutes ago, DC5 said:

Hi folks our last query on our building warrants is they are unhappy with the fire protection on the steel frame.

The designer has gone back and suggested 2x12.5mm gyproc encapsulation and they have said this isn’t allowable according to the white book.

They are now talking painted intumescent layer!

ive not used a steel frame before just wondered if this is fairly normal and easy to have painted ie is this something the supplier would normally do?

Any comments appreciated.

thanks  

I would check the design

While the paint is quick and easy 

It’s incredibly expensive 

Most of the fireproofing that I do calls for a 25 mil void between the steel and PB

Some are ok with multi board shoe fired directly to steel 

whilst I would usually be of the same opinion about the expense of the intumescent paint, the last job I had this issue, the paint was actually cheaper than the pb solution (but that was due to the shape and intricacies of the install rather than material costs)

The question is why your architects solution doesn't comply with the regs?

Definitely get the relevant page out of the whitebook and prove your solution complies (but that should be the job of your architect)