Mounting spot lights of collar ties

DC5

Hi folks, our sparky is currently not around as his wife is still shielding which is holding things up a fair bit but not really a big deal as just getting my head around the lights.

Upstairs I'm getting closer to knowing what i want for lighting and I'll be combining spots and pendants and do similar in the extension.

Anyway, can anyone tell me - I would like to mount spotlights on the collar ties (Probably Astro Ascoli or similar https://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/spotlights-c68/ceiling-c69/astro-6142-ascoli-single-1-light-spotlight-white-p26690 open to any other alternatives or sugestions!) The spots can be then aimed as required.

What my question is, can I mount the lights on the collar ties (particularly in the hall pic shown) what are the regs on being near surfaces etc?

Also is there any way I can hide the wiring going to the light better, the best I can think of is using white cable rather than grey (is 1.0mm allowed?) there will be 2 cables to each light I think, I assume I can't drill the collar tie but any clever suggestions appreciated.

The lights will ideally be mounted on a face rather than the top or bottom.

Any input appreciated, thanks

1B9099B3-BF1C-4634-8304-71FF9FE41CE1.jpeg

Edited by DC5

That's a very good idea but I suspect that would be compromise the collar tie too much. Ideally it would be good if I could drill vertically and diagonally up the tie to run the cables from the side to the top.

If the collar ties are exposed there is no problem fixing adjustable spotlights on them. Personally I recommend bulbs or fittings with a wide beam angle unless you want to illuminate something like a wall mounted picture.

Thanks folks, yes we’ve decided to leave them exposed as we’ve stripped so many original parts put the cottage we felt it would be nice to leave them and also try to  give a feeling of greater space. It’s been a total pain fitting Kooltherm right up to the apex! Would have been a lot easier to sheet over the collar ties!

ADCFE81F-C9B9-468D-8334-D4A9B498A83B.jpeg