Front Boundary wall Footing Next to pavement

Beechy

Hello, I am hoping to rebuild my leaning and cracked full brick front boundary wall. I had a couple of quotes from builders last year but now find myself with time out from work and want to do it myself. Both builders quoted to rebuild on the old footings although I guess that might have been revisited if any issues became apparent after demolition of the existing wall. Looking at lack of depth and lack of spread of the footing that I've exposed on the garden side of the wall I'm pretty sure that I'll need to dig out and replace. My question is really how do I create the necessary spread on the road side as it will need to be under the pavement. Soil type is heavy boulder clay type. Original wall built 1930's and has been leaning since we moved in 20 yrs ago, so not a new movement.

IMG_0042.JPG

Build on origional if still sound.

If not, do not disturb the pavement! remove the existing (you could carefully undercut the pavement area, but the wall doesnt really need it as the pavement itself will act as support)

Is the soil level in the garden higher than the pavement? Is that's what's pushing it over?

If you you will need to widen the footing inside the garden to build it as a proper retaining wall, wider at the base (underground) on the garden side.

There is only one tree (near the gatepost) which will be coming down. The wall was leaning before the tree grew although I'm sure it won't help the situation if left to grow.. The soil level in the garden is approx 6 inch lower than the surface of the pavement so no pressure from the garden side.

Just now, Beechy said:

There is only one tree (near the gatepost) which will be coming down. The wall was leaning before the tree grew although I'm sure it won't help the situation if left to grow.. The soil level in the garden is approx 6 inch lower than the surface of the pavement so no pressure from the garden side.

I would just rebuild on the same footings then.