Hi from Ted

Ted

I've wanted to self build for about the last 30 years (didn't have the gonads to do so). Now aged 62 I'm determined to extend my home and future proof it to the max.. Our ambition is to extend and provide an  elevated extension.  This extension will also provide a roof top garden to exploit the sea views currently not available.  In addition the opportunity to include a basement is too tempting to ignore. This time around I'm  determined go for it. Ted.

30 years ago I had the gonads, I just didn't have the money. The trick is acquiring sufficient funds before you reach an age when you lack the energy or become so risk averse that yours gonads have gone into hiding. Do it before it's too late, and good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NSS said:

30 years ago I had the gonads, I just didn't have the money. The trick is acquiring sufficient funds before you reach an age when you lack the energy or become so risk averse that yours gonads have gone into hiding. Do it before it's too late, and good luck!

totally agree  and you all decided i,m totally nuts doing what I, m doing --but hey  just go for it - and plan for worst scenario 

which in my case is put it all up for sale

.If the plot is good you will always be able to move it on if age gets the better of you  

they not making any more land 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ted said:

I've wanted to self build for about the last 30 years (didn't have the gonads to do so). Now aged 62 I'm determined to extend my home and future proof it to the max.. Our ambition is to extend and provide an  elevated extension.  This extension will also provide a roof top garden to exploit the sea views currently not available.  In addition the opportunity to include a basement is too tempting to ignore. This time around I'm  determined go for it. Ted.

basement --then look at ICF construction-simplest way to do a basement  in my view 

and tank it well on outside -dpc under slab could go right up the outside of the basement walls -no damp problems  then 

what ever you put on top of it

Edited by scottishjohn

13 hours ago, Ted said:

I've wanted to self build for about the last 30 years (didn't have the gonads to do so). Now aged 62 I'm determined to...

Snap.

5 years on we are between second and third fix .... and boy am I knackered: I mean walking dead knackered. Today's the first day off in the last 30 or so. Almost giddy with relief.

Go for it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Snap again - we are four years in, since planning permission granted 3 years of building,  and just getting the roof rafters in which is a great feeling. I am not quite knackered but feeling the pressure now to crack so so having wished you all the best that is what I intend to do. Good luck - maybe I will have a coffee first - no just get back out there sharpie..

• Like 1