Flat skylight - reducing solar gain options

tanneja

Hi all,

We need 2 x 2000mm x 1000mm flat skylights for our renovation project.  I'm struggling to find the best budget friendly and low maintenance product that will get the job done.  £680 exVAT is the best I have been able to find 3G in this size (https://toughenedglasssystems.co.uk/product/skylights-rooflights-1000-1000/ ... yet to determine the Uw in that size), is anything better value out there?

Beyond the size, what would you recommend in the battle against solar gain in the summer months? 

On large flat skylights, should one:

- buy with low solar gain glass spec

- apply aftermarket external film to reduce gain

- combine with external shutter that can close off during period of excessive heat

Any advice on what and where to buy is much appreciated.

• 6 months later...
On 21/07/2020 at 18:34, PeterW said:

£781 inc VAT from Glass Squad with blue tint and 0.9 uValue 3G units. Have a solar gain figure too 

@PeterW thanks for this recommendation. I gave them a call and they have helpfully offered an option for Sunguard SN35/70 glass as well, which isn't too expensive, considering these are 3G. They are also fairly reasonable for structural glazing as well.

Just wondered what your experience of their external flat rooflight is. In particular, what were the upstands like and do you have any photos of the installed rooflight from within your house you wouldn't mind sharing?

• 1 year later...

I'm in the market for a 1800x1800 passivhaus standard skylight, which seems to be on the large side, but prices quoted are 5x what we are discussing here (in late 2020 to be fair). Are there any companies that can do:

- 1800x1800

- Passivhaus certified

- electric opening

- Blinds system (fabric or some type of metal shutters?)

- Led lighting

The base price is near 5000, blinds 2000, led 1200.. 

Anyone who could do better?