Moving loads of plumbing and plumbing in plastic...

Carrerahill

Did some mods here 20 years ago when we bought the place all in the grey, chunky Hep2O. On the quick to get CH upstairs as there wasn't any, had the new baby etc. Copper pipe and all joins Hep2O. Not one fitting a problem. Stuck my finger in one of those serrated rings once...lesson learnt.

Made one cock up more recently trying to swap innards between circa 1998 grey Hep2O and the newer stuff. Looks similar but a bit more streamlined. It leaked but didn't burst. My fault that.

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Made one cock up more recently trying to swap innards between circa 1998 grey Hep2O and the newer stuff. Looks similar but a bit more streamlined.

I first used Hep2O in the early 90s and between then and now they have changed the design many times trying to get it right.

8 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I first used Hep2O in the early 90s and between then and now they have changed the design many times trying to get it right.

I think they had it right when I first used it circa 1998 judging by the performance of the stuff I've put in to date. It's on mains, hot and cold, HW & CH. Quite why they changed the detail I don't know. Just a bit chunky imo.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

I think they had it right when I first used it circa 1998 judging by the performance of the stuff I've put in to date. It's on mains, hot and cold, HW & CH. Quite why they changed the detail I don't know. Just a bit chunky imo.

I think that was the MK2 version. The first one had a flat end to the fittings and the second one had a more pointed face where the pipe is pushed in. IIRC they also reversed the position of the O ring in relation to the grip ring. The MK1 version pipe didn't have an oxygen barrier either so wasn't suitable for CH.

1 minute ago, PeterStarck said:

I think that was the MK2 version. The first one had a flat end to the fittings and the second one had a more pointed face where the pipe is pushed in. IIRC they also reversed the position of the O ring in relation to the grip ring. The MK1 version pipe didn't have an oxygen barrier either so wasn't suitable for CH.

Whoops...maybe...I'll have to check!

On 11/07/2020 at 09:32, joe90 said:

Inserts should not rattle, a good tight push fit otherwise they won’t do their job. I am a convert to plastic from copper (took a long while) not having joins and flexible pipe is great for pulling through places that copper would have to have loads of joints/bends etc. Also not having many 90’ bends make flow so much better. Also I am a Hep 2O convert.

Exactly what I have always found and also expected (they must fit tight or they cannot work).

I checked the pipe 15mm - inserts for this pipe were supplied. I have chucked it into the garage where it can stay for 10 years till I bin it.

I am, like you, in the earlier stages of my copper affinity, I do now have 2 sections of JG installed for the very reason you give above, great for pulling in.

On 11/07/2020 at 10:22, SiBee said:

Are the pipe and inserts the same brand?

I have never come across a “sloppy” fit? some are really hard to push in (dry)

You are correct in questioning this.

They only stock one "system" and the inserts were given to me after I said, "and some inserts to suit".

Not pleased as I now have fittings, pipe and inserts I do not trust and will just let sit for a decade or more! 

On 11/07/2020 at 22:01, Nickfromwales said:

Did you fit the little horse clips after tightening the fittings? IIRC you used the blue / red combos.

Funny that folk all mention JG stuff but NEVER mention the clips that stop the crap design from undoing and flooding your house......

These wee beasties

Forget these at your peril.

PS I only use Hepworth as its bomb-proof, and doesn't have such flaws, or such thick inserts, either..

They only seem to recommend these clips for hard pipes.

On 11/07/2020 at 08:35, Carrerahill said:

. I just don't trust it and I don't know why not. 

inserts are penny’s, go buy some more (and take a bit of pipe to make sure they are tight!!!). Only problem with plastic is scratching the pipe where fittings go, this can lead to weapy joints, keep the pipe clean and scratch free and it will be fine. If an old Luddite like me can be converted to plastic anyone can ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

inserts are penny’s, go buy some more (and take a bit of pipe to make sure they are tight!!!). Only problem with plastic is scratching the pipe where fittings go, this can lead to weapy joints, keep the pipe clean and scratch free and it will be fine. If an old Luddite like me can be converted to plastic anyone can ?

It is all OK now.

I went out and bought all new stuff from Screwfix on the Saturday and used the superseal inserts too. The stuff I was talking about came from the merchant and was all a bit doubtful.

I have used JG before plenty of times on non-critical installs - taps in garages etc.

So I guess I have already taken a bit of a jump the fact I now have some 3.6m, over two runs, of plastic pipe and 4 x JG fittings in and installed and working.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, joe90 said:

Only problem with plastic is scratching the pipe where fittings go, this can lead to weapy joints, keep the pipe clean and scratch free and it will be fine.

Why don't the fittings seal on the pipe bore, like UFH pipes do, this would solve the issue and also for re-use where the gripper ring has dragged a mark down the pipe wouldn't be a concern

3 hours ago, JFDIY said:

Why don't the fittings seal on the pipe bore, like UFH pipes do, this would solve the issue and also for re-use where the gripper ring has dragged a mark down the pipe wouldn't be a concern

The JG Super Seals do. 2 o-rings that are on the stalk of the insert, and one around the large rim of the insert which seals to the inside of the fitting itself. They're just quite thick walled vs the slim Hep stainless insert but are pretty good as far as sealing is concerned.   

• Thanks 1