Electricity supply placement for the build

Thorfun

Hi all,

we are planning for the electrics for performing the build will be run from our existing house. we have a 'pool house' which is shown in the photo below which has an RCD in it with a connection from the main RCD in the house. This powers the heat pump, water pump and lights for the pool. as well as having a couple of household sockets in the pool house for plugging stuff in to.

IMG_8074.thumb.jpeg.6ee57ab3451ac95351376828ade45d16.jpeg

the pool house is being demolished as that's pretty much where the house is going so I was going to get an electrician to move the RCD unit that's in the pool house to somewhere else on site and let the builders take their electricity feed from there. the cable running to the pool house from the house goes from the right side of the pool house to the house you can see to the right of the picture so I would assume it would be easiest to dig up that cable and move it and the RCD to somewhere within the length of that existing cable.

so my question is, what sort of electricity will the timber frame company need? is a 110V supply required or can I just get the electrician to give a line of household sockets for them to plug in to? also, is there a required distance from the electricity supply to the new house so the use of long extension cables is reduced? and finally, what would be the best to house the RCD in? I'm planning to repurpose the pool house to be the site toilet near the house wall (by the bright blue water butt you can see). so could I attach a box to that structure and put it in there?

I hope that all makes sense. I haven't yet asked the Timber frame company what their requirements are (I probably should do that!) nor have I spoken to an electrician yet as I wanted to get an idea of what I need doing before getting quotes in for the work.

oh, almost forgot, we're getting a new supply run to site in another location (near the new entrance that will be built) so eventually the existing supply to the current house and pool house will be decommissioned once the new house is built and we demolish the bungalow.

Edited by Thorfun
forgot something

All your electrician needs to do is connect a few waterproof sockets.  Remember to connect them to a TT earth (local earth rod)  If the builders want 110V they will bring their own transformers.

A couple of 16A "commando" sockets would be handy as well as standard 13A sockets.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

All your electrician needs to do is connect a few waterproof sockets.  Remember to connect them to a TT earth (local earth rod)  If the builders want 110V they will bring their own transformers.

A couple of 16A "commando" sockets would be handy as well as standard 13A sockets.

ok, cool. so when the electrician moves the RCD I could ask him to put a couple of commando sockets in at the same time. 

what distance from the 'build area' should those waterproof sockets be? are we talking 5m, 10m, 15m? or will the builders just have extension leads to the distance is not an issue?

7 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

What sort of building kit runs off these 16A sockets?

if I get them fitted in the right place I could charge my car off them! will be a lot quicker than the 3-pin plug I currently use. ?

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Charging tools.

to plug the kettle in.

a friend is having a timber frame and their ground-workers doing the insulated slab brought their own microwave.

• Haha 1