Push to open doors

sw879

Hi all

We are having some joinery work done and I have a question about push to open doors.  

I've attached an image of the joinery design we are after and an inspiration picture to show what we are trying to replicate.  Just to explain, there are 4 push to open doors on the left (490 x 1550) and 1 push to open door on the right (490 x 1550).  

We asked our joiner if it's also possible to have one giant push to open door surrounding the TV (1760 x 1550) as we don't want to see a seam running down the middle.   The joiner said that this is impossible but I can't see why.  It's not a terribly big panel and it won't have to hold the weight of the TV as this should be attached directly to the back wall. (btw TV size in the image shows 55" but we are having 65" instead so the panel should weigh even less).

If it can't be done, is there any other option available that doesn't involve a seam?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

287903597_Screenshot2020-06-29at12_50_01.thumb.png.a7334a0332cc0c774a2f0c7af5cbbb53.png

IMG_2231.png

Where do you want the "TV" door to be when it's in the open position and you're watching television? Do you want it to open and fold flat (or almost) against the other doors to the left on your sketch?

I don't think a single door that size would be possible as it would require a very substantial support and hinge mechanism. You might not think it's that heavy but try lifting an 8x4 sheet of 18mm MDF!

If it were me I would want the symmetry of having a row of identical sized doors, with 2 or more door fronts for the TV which open out and fold almost flat against the other cupboards. 

I would make the big TV door 1200 or 1220 wide instead of 1240mm to allow it to fit a standard sheet and use strong hinges. To keep it flat you might need stiffeners on the back above and below the TV and possibly different and/or multiple catches.

One issue could be fixing the hinges to the door. Not much thickness to screw into. I'm sure it's all solvable but needs a bit of thought. Depends how pretty you want it to look when the big door is open? If thats not important it would be easier.

Edited by Temp

Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions which we have put to our joiner.

I think we will just play it safe and have a fixed panel around the TV.

Thank you again.