Loft conversion floor joists

Jml

As part of our refurbishment we are converting part of our loft to a bathroom.  

The loft was part of a late 80’s early 90’s extension.

The joists at present are 50 x 170 with a maximum span of 3930 at 400 centres.  According to span tables I can find free on the net, the load up to 0.5 if c24  can span 3.88m.  

As the room will be a bathroom I will have to double the joists anyway.

Questions

How do I tell if the are C24 or not.?

When using span tables is load up to 0.5 sufficient for first floor ?

Would doubling of joists be sufficient for my new bathroom?

Any help much appreciated.

Jenny

If this is being done under building regs then you will need to prove to BCO that this is acceptable.

In terms of loading, static loading of 0.5 is used for clear floors with light loading. If you add stud walls then 0.75-1 is where you should be planning to stop movement. All tables for floor joists assume a dynamic 1.5 loading in addition which is where your bath/shower etc come in.

Assuming you currently have 44 x170 joists then your maximum span would be at C16 3.963m under BS 5268-7.3, and that is for a ceiling joist. Convert this to a floor joist and then take the consideration in BS 6399-1 which is the new standard, then to get your spans you are borderline on using 88x170, or double up joists. These would need to be bolted together - not screwed - at 600mm centres to ensure the strength is reached.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your response. BCO are involved, as will a SE,.

I assume that there is some variation in actual widths of joists as have measured a few and nearer to 50 than 44? But being 44 and c16 makes sense.

Bolting the existing ceiling joists with others c24 44x 170 But leaving at 400 centres, even with bathroom fixtures would then be just about adequate?

1 hour ago, Jml said:

Many thanks for your response. BCO are involved, as will a SE,.

I assume that there is some variation in actual widths of joists as have measured a few and nearer to 50 than 44? But being 44 and c16 makes sense.

Bolting the existing ceiling joists with others c24 44x 170 But leaving at 400 centres, even with bathroom fixtures would then be just about adequate?

It is about depth of joists when you do large spans, not width.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

then your SE should confirm this (it’s part of his job!!!)

None appointed as yet, as funds are very tight, trying to establish easiest, simplest therefore the most cost effective way to do things first

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It is about depth of joists when you do large spans, not width.

Ok, so probably would need deeper joists.  I assume that the current ceiling joists can stay in situ.

32 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Are there any underlying intersecting walls which can assume some of the loads?

Total span is actually over 6m but there is a structural 100mm block wall 2.4 m from one wall and 3.93m from the other on which  2 independent sets of ceiling joists rest.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jml said:

None appointed as yet, as funds are very tight, trying to establish easiest, simplest therefore the most cost effective way to do things first

Ok, so probably would need deeper joists.  I assume that the current ceiling joists can stay in situ.

Total span is actually over 6m but there is a structural 100mm block wall 2.4 m from one wall and 3.93m from the other on which  2 independent sets of ceiling joists rest.

What is the span the opposite direction...? and is the ceiling coming down..?

If you have the headroom it might be better to work out how tall the new joists would need to be if the existing ceiling joists don't carry any of the load. Then put the new ones in 1" above the top of the plasterboard. Dont bolt them to the existing joists (except perhaps at the ends). That way there is no new load on the existing joists and fewer cracks in the plaster in rooms below

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/06/2020 at 15:50, Nickfromwales said:

A basic drawing of the existing layout would help, but here were just procrastinating as the SE and BCO will dictate what you need so as to issue the relevant certification ;)  

Remember if you want to get some extra cheeky head height you could go to doubles up smaller joists and make them Flitch beams.

Drawing attached, pitched roof with pitch running top to bottom of photo, top shows section at points AA.

DAAA7E11-E7FA-466B-A035-0CCC50517F69.thumb.png.ccabef0457d9d98324ba5be994480eb7.png.ddaee4afb7985229ea396f16192f260f.png

20 hours ago, PeterW said:

What is the span the opposite direction...? and is the ceiling coming down..?

Span in opposite direction 4560mm as in drawing in above post.  Ideally ceiling not coming down.

12 hours ago, Temp said:

If you have the headroom it might be better to work out how tall the new joists would need to be if the existing ceiling joists don't carry any of the load. Then put the new ones in 1" above the top of the plasterboard. Dont bolt them to the existing joists (except perhaps at the ends). That way there is no new load on the existing joists and fewer cracks in the plaster in rooms below

Ceiling height a bit tight, depending depth new joists, but that sounds like a good plan, perhaps along with

20 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Remember if you want to get some extra cheeky head height you could go to doubles up smaller joists and make them Flitch beams.

13 hours ago, Temp said:

Issues with not being able to fit noggins ? May have to fit thicker beams to compensate. 

• Like 1

Just looking at the Engineers drawings ... It shows collar ties at about 1.3m high by my calculations. Are there purlins down the sides and are you adding a dormer as you only have about 1m or so with decent headroom 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, that makes it interesting! :) 

Is not taking ceiling down practical?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Just looking at the Engineers drawings ... It shows collar ties at about 1.3m high by my calculations. Are there purlins down the sides and are you adding a dormer as you only have about 1m or so with decent headroom 

They are my CAD drawings. Correct  2 collar ties at AA for purlins down each side. Was hoping to have a bathroom in there, but agreed decent headroom a bit sparse!

On 12/06/2020 at 14:07, PeterW said:

The bathroom idea has been abandoned, on the basis of cost and practicality.

We will probably just use the room for storage.  Can the 2 collar ties easily be removed or is it best just to duck under them?

23 hours ago, PeterW said:

Without seeing them and how they are attached, I would expect that these are tying the purlins together to stop them bowing. Got any photos..?

Also, where are the stairs going..?

Photos of collar tiesC3867587-E7E6-4F4F-9D1F-44EE744BA047.thumb.jpeg.b1212503da0fd74d5488943677f6a989.jpeg

There is a door through which the photo was taken which will lead to the stairs. They are proving difficult to plan, however, hence I have another thread asking for ideas on these .