Cherry picker battery options

NotJustin

Speaking with someone ex the MEWPs industry and he reckons it could be an older Genie Z34 (12m) machine. Or an Upright as they were very similar.

Off to ask others in the know!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Speaking with someone ex the MEWPs industry and he reckons it could be an older Genie Z34 (12m) machine. Or an Upright as they were very similar.

Off to ask others in the know!

Super, thank you

I've gleaned from various sources that this is very likely an Aerial K12 platform.

K12.JPG.a7033cc44d124ce6ab7f952ba82c7b69.JPG

Made by Aerial the access division of the British Engines Group in Newcastle. In 1994 they replaced the K12/2 model with a series 2 model.

I don't think Aerial are still part of the British Engines Group.

I will ask around as to a manual.

These platforms are from what I can see dirt cheap. (If I think something's cheap it must be). Maybe as you can't get spares for them and if you start making ad hoc repairs it brings up all sorts of LOLER issues. Often cheaper to scrap it or punt it out to Mr DIY!

I am a bit confused now.

Does it work at all?

If not what is the battery voltage at rest?  And what does the battery voltage drop to when you try and move it?

Even without a manual, surely all you want is the battery type fitted and get a new one(s) of the same type.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am a bit confused now.

Does it work at all?

If not what is the battery voltage at rest?  And what does the battery voltage drop to when you try and move it?

Even without a manual, surely all you want is the battery type fitted and get a new one(s) of the same type.

I'm presuming it works OK with the new batteries.I was just trying to hunt down a user / maintenance manual for him.

To think a few years back I could have had a Falck Schmidt TS18 Spider for £500 or less! The insurance inspection deemed the chains needed replacing so the client scrapped it. The repair costs vs the ammount it would get used etc. Saying that I wouldn't have used it without new chains.

It works but the batteries are shot. New batteries have been ordered. I was just trying to understand how to maintain it as a friend said I should daily grease it etc. I'm getting there with it now :)

A man who knows about these things said to try IPS (Independent Parts and Service), 0845 1084000 if you need anything. They stock parts for pretty much anything powered access wise. Also that there's still quite a few of these in service.

On 09/06/2020 at 16:44, Reiver said:

Here's your pic with the places where the bushes are likely to be circled: the ones that need greasing will likely have nipples fitted I would think. Looks like I missed the one where the arm joins the cage ?

cherry picker.jpg

Can I just put old engine oil on the bushes? I don't see any grease on them. I've been looking for maintencence manual but can't find one. Are there general maintenance manuals for cherry pickers? Thanks for any help.

On 09/06/2020 at 16:44, Reiver said:

Here's your pic with the places where the bushes are likely to be circled: the ones that need greasing will likely have nipples fitted I would think. Looks like I missed the one where the arm joins the cage ?

cherry picker.jpg

Do I just slap grease into the join?

IMG_20200623_115946_4.jpg.a13406eedea8055847e9998ea4bb2d90.jpg

IMG_20200623_115946_4.jpg

Are the joints noisy then?

Look carefully. If it's been repainted they might have filled up the grease nipple hole with paint. 

Could just be a phosphor bronze bush designed to not need any lube. It's not as if its high revving. Most of the pivots don't even go thru 360deg.

Have you called that contact I gave you yet?

Not yet called. Been a bit upo to th the eyeballs. Not even used the C.P. as it's very windy here.
I was thinking the joints maybe dry joints anyway. The manuals mention nothing about lubricating them, only the turntable.
There are no bad noises from anything. It was clearly yellow once before blue. I'll have a closer look.

1 hour ago, Justin Tuijl said:

Here's a better picture. Currently nothing has grease on but the turntable.

IMG_20200623_142355_3.jpg

what's the dark bit just above and left of centre? Looks a bit like a plug screwed in from here...