Fixing screw hole in top of shower waste pipe :(

andyscotland

Oh sh*t.

I have just made possibly the biggest mistake of my whole build.

I have a wet floor shower drain set in the insulation layer of my floor (above the slab, below the chipboard). The pipe runs beneath the stud wall into the insulation layer of the adjacent room to the stack.

I think I have just screwed a piece of chipboard flooring down into the top of the pipe. ??????

Is there any way to fix it? Could I somehow solvent weld a patch over the top (it's solvent weld pipe).

Or do I have to dig out the whole pipe (which means lifting a chunk of glued and screwed floor and vapour membrane and even then having an awkward time joining the replacement pipe in - originally I made the whole shower drain / pipe / boss /stack section as a single unit and slotted it into the 110 in the floor before I built the wall over.

I have a horrible feeling I know what the answer is...

I could literally cry.

cut a piece of solvent pipe about an inch long. split the back and take 10mm out using a multi-tool or hacksaw. Scrub the inside with sandpaper, same on the pipe and a quick spread of glue over the joint and clip the repair over - it will spring on and try and hold itself on anyway, glue is there to seal the hole

• Thanks 1

@Russell griffiths @PeterW @Onoff THANK YOU! 

I am still kicking myself, but when I've finished that I'll get to work and get it fixed....

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Call that a mistake?  Whassa matter with  ya man?

Depending how that was meant to read:

a) OK then, biggest mistake so far, things having gone relatively well to date (let's not mention the GRP....)

b) Good point, just as I regularly tell my son "it was a mistake" is no excuse for "accidentally" hitting his brother over the head, I'd better admit it was in fact somewhere between careless and reckless.... Clearly after I've fixed the pipe I'll mark the line of it on top of the wood, rather than just on the membrane below the wood..... And then pay attention when I'm driving screws!

Either way ?

But still a bit ?

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

If it's solvent weld pipe then it's no big deal tbh. Expose the pipe, clean it and solvent weld a curved sliver of the same pipe onto it. 

You've changed.  Surely strip it back to foundations? ?

Good as new! (I hope). Will wait for it to set up and water test before I reinstate the floor. I'm thinking I will just put a piece of polystyrene in the gap where I've cut out the chipboard as the repair clip sits ever so slightly proud of the insulation. There's UFH overlay boards going on top and then laminate (and this will be inside a cupboard/below the CU anyway so not likely to get a lot of loading on that spot).

When I finish the build I'm going to retrain as a keyhole surgeon.

Thanks again for the life-saving advice folks.

IMG_20200522_152828.jpg

IMG_20200522_163315.jpg

• Like 3