Advice needed about removing lead paint

Gow

I've been stripping paint off the rusty 1930s wrought iron garden fence and gate.  There is green paint on the gate post, possibly the original coat so it probably contains lead. Is there a safe way of removing the paint and if there is what products should I be using?  So far I have managed to removed one coat of crinkled black metal paint from the railings using elbow grease and a sander. There was only one layer of black metal paint there, no green paint. Thank you

188_b4_and_after.JPG

188_gate_post_.JPG

188_gate.JPG

188_railings.JPG

Edited by Gow

7 hours ago, Temp said:

Local sand blaster

That's a person, I presume who owns a decent sand-blasting compressor? Maybe it would cheaper replacing the gate posts thus avoiding the risk of breathing in lead paint particles.

We had a similar challenge.  Our railings were about 100 years older and had multiple thick layers of paint on them. I had to strip them in-situ using Nitromors and a scraper, and went over them with a wire brush drill attachment in the awkward bits before painting (wear a mask!). It doesn't have to be perfect;  no-one else will look as closely as you!  Slap on a couple of coats of Hammerite, (smooth dark green is my favourite), stand back and admire?

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d get them dipped. Caustic strip will remove that. 

Thanks I've filled in an online form and asked for a quote

5 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

We had a similar challenge.  Our railings were about 100 years older and had multiple thick layers of paint on them. I had to strip them in-situ using Nitromors and a scraper, and went over them with a wire brush drill attachment in the awkward bits before painting (wear a mask!). It doesn't have to be perfect;  no-one else will look as closely as you!  Slap on a couple of coats of Hammerite, (smooth dark green is my favourite), stand back and admire?

Not looking for perfection, just worried about the lead in the paint. And the mask, well I doubt I will be able to find one at the DIY store at the moment. Tomorrow I'll try to  find another chore that I've been putting off for ever and a day until lockdown arrived. Alas, we're not out of the woods yet in Scotland

☹️

Green 

12 minutes ago, Gow said:

Not looking for perfection, just worried about the lead in the paint. And the mask, well I doubt I will be able to find one at the DIY store at the moment. Tomorrow I'll try to  find another chore that I've been putting off for ever and a day until lockdown arrived. Alas, we're not out of the woods yet in Scotland

Green would clash with the masonry red brick wall - recently painted. Everything that has a surface has been painted during lockdown except the fence and gate :00

Edited by Gow
Typo as it's past my bedtime

3 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

... green was more in keeping with the period.

I was being flippant - anything would look better than rust!