How many periscope vents

MortarThePoint

3 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Nice ideas. I think I'm trying to get them on bond and putting them in a 350 or 400mm slot to allow adjustment.

image.thumb.png.f8dbe91d4bbededd963a8210ec406019.png

D18348C4-76DF-4FAF-AD2D-D463257BC3D3.thumb.png.09dfe8ad0e9ae744517d503256a00abb.png

Connect to a flexi pipe gives you the movement, I have used 3-4 as the periscope was just not doing what I wanted. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 1

You’re over thinking the bond issue. You won’t see the difference, and I’m pretty sure unless all your bricks are laser cut, you won’t get 100% accurate anyway so I wouldn’t worry as this is all below eye line anyway. Put them on faces that aren’t immediately visible like side elevations. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

You’re over thinking the bond issue. You won’t see the difference, and I’m pretty sure unless all your bricks are laser cut, you won’t get 100% accurate anyway so I wouldn’t worry as this is all below eye line anyway. Put them on faces that aren’t immediately visible like side elevations. 

Your probably right, but they need to be linteled anyway

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Why are you using lintels ..?? Periscope should be a flat block over looking at your build and only 225mm wide 

We're using a slab flooring product that has support pillars moulded in that have to bear on something. Cavity concrete fill comes up 200mm then there is only one more blockwork layer until the floor slabs.

OK so what is the SEng/Floor designers detail for this..?

It looks like you're trying to design where there should be standard detail or engineers details

Why can't you put the vents in the sides where there is no point load from the floor slabs as I assume they are all the same orientation..?

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

OK so what is the SEng/Floor designers detail for this..?

It looks like you're trying to design where there should be standard detail or engineers details

Why can't you put the vents in the sides where there is no point load from the floor slabs as I assume they are all the same orientation..?

I have asked them for a detail for this a number of times over the last few months and only had words back "Support is required at bearing level above the opening for the vent." I take that to mean there must be a lintel.

The sides have pillars to and whilst in theory you could plan them not to clash (as 600 c/c) that could easily go wrong and present a bigger problem that is only discovered late in the game when the slabs are being fitted (all in a day)

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sorry back to my point, why are you asking this not the structural engineer..??

Can you post your ground floor plans and indicate the direction of the floor slabs..?

Surely shouldn't need to bother the Structural Engineer for this as the lintels are only 600mm long?

image.thumb.png.2f49fa0dc33240faad25af38f746b07b.png

Edited by MortarThePoint

OK they aren't contact points - they are strengthening in the EPS. The BBA Cert states you should use opposing walls for ventilation

8.2 To help minimise the risk of condensation, the void space beneath the lowest point of the floor construction should
be at least 150 mm high, with provision for adequate through-ventilation in the form of ventilation openings provided
in two opposing external walls. The ventilation openings should be sized at not less than 1500 mm2·m ̄1 run of external
wall or 500 mm2·m ̄2 of floor area, whichever is greater. Where pipes are used to carry ventilating air, these should be
at least 100 mm diameter.